Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm currently keeping 4 Elongatus Mpanga, 2 Yellow labs and a breeding trio of Red Empress in a 40g (36x14x18).
Unfortunately it is time for me to trade in the Red Empress only because of their size, the male is about 5 inch the females a little smaller. It's a shame because they are my favorite fish and raised them all. Check my avatar for the male :D

Anyway i'm not sure whether to buy a few more Elongatus and a few more labs and just have the two species or add another species.
I do like many of the Cyno's especially the Lion 'Lions cove' and also the Afra cobue and chewere, and well pretty much them all :lol:
I can also get my hands on some Flavus but i understand they can grow large and are very aggresive.
Looking for some advice :thumb:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buy a bigger tank and keep them!

That's very good advice but not the advice im looking for :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I had the Lion's Cove once upon a time - the male got very territorial, would stake out about 12"-18" of the tank and wouldn't let anything else near his cave, don't know if that is normal, but something to keep in mind in a smaller tank. Maybe someone else has more/different experience - he may have been a bad seed.

I had 6 Cobues and recently traded them in, only one showed any real color, the others were kinda bland for me.

Personally, I would go with more of what you have, 5-6 yellow labs is a lot more fun/interesting than 2.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i put the suggestion of buying a bigger tank to my fiancee, and her response was "don't even think about it buddy you got enough tanks as it is and were you gonna put it" :lol:
It was worth a crack but....
Seeing i have no experience with the "cobue's" or the "lions", that almost rules them out unless anyone else has had different experience them.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I'd add Elongatus and one more yellow lab. Another species in a 36" tank would be pushing it, and I believe the Elongatus are on the aggressive side, additional females will help in the long run.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd add Elongatus and one more yellow lab.
Cheers RANSOM. So 1 more Lab. that would make 3
How many more Elongatus. I'm thinking maybe 4, that would make 8 of them and 11 fish all up not including the bristlenose and featherfin

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Do you know how many males you have? I'd shoot for one male and four females on the Elongatus.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went and traded in my Red Empress this arvo and got three more Elongatus, didn't get any Labs. because they didn't look all that flash so i will wait until i see nice healthy one.
So now i have 7 Elongatus 2m/5f (i think). :thumb:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
GoofBoy said:
I had the Lion's Cove once upon a time - the male got very territorial, would stake out about 12"-18" of the tank and wouldn't let anything else near his cave, don't know if that is normal, but something to keep in mind in a smaller tank. Maybe someone else has more/different experience - he may have been a bad seed.
That Lion's Cove behavior isn't really abnormal. I kept two dominant males and several subdominant males and females in a 55. The two dominant males really didn't bother anyone else as they were too pre-occupied with keeping each other in check.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.