Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prov made a comment in another thread that i may have a tough tank (lots of issues) and i think this is accurate. so here are some details of my tank as it is right now
72 gallon bow front
20 long sump/refugium
i have also a submersible DIY filter (1gallon run via powerhead)
if it matters i have 2x 36" 2 bulb T5 HO lights (2x 12000k and 2x true blue actinic)

my stock is as follows
5 red jewels (2 are a now a breeding pair on their 2nd brood [1st brood has 15 survivors and thats mostly my fault] the others are not breeding)
8 yellow labs (unknown sexes no breeding at this time)
6 red top zebras (unknown sexes and no breeding at this time)

i have had 1 loss (a jewel that got beat up real bad before i could remove him)
and have placed 2 jewels (separately) in the refugium for recovery and the last one is still there (note the first has done very well since being placed back in the DT)

i know i need a bit more stock and i am starting to wonder if the jewels are simply the wrong kind of fish for this tank? we are considering setting up a separate tank for the jewels for a number of reasons.... 1st being aggression and the second is if we want a brood to make it having their own space may make that easier....

not asking for flames but some intelligent conversation on your thoughts opinions or options regarding this set up.... also note that getting more fish to add right now is not a possibility (perhaps in another 2-4 weeks at best)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I'd stock this like a 55G using the length of 48" and the side measurement of 12" that is often the case on a 75G bowfront. So three species.

I'd remove the jewels.

If the aggressors are mbuna and possibly the red-tops, maybe you have too many males. What works for me is to remove the sub-dom male...mine usually lurk under the surface trying to avoid getting beat up. Once you have 1m:4f things should calm down.

I'd think labs and Metriaclima pyrsonotos should be ok without other fish in your tank for a month until you are able to get more fish.

It's also possible that the aggression has already died down but one of your earlier deceased fish was sick and infected the tank. With a condition like bloat a fish dies every couple of weeks for seemingly unknown reasons.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Unless I misread the first post, it has only been the jewels who have been seriously injured so far. I'd place a decent sized wager that it was the breeding pair of jewels attempting to evict the other jewels from their spawn area that resulted in the damage. Aggressive substrate spawners take up large territories, and if you keep the jewels, you will find that territory becomes your entire tank, to the exclusion of all other fish.

So, I agree with DJ, that the Jewels should go, or moved to their own tank... a 29 gallon will suffice for a pair.

I'll guess that the aggression will pretty be greatly reduced at this point, and pick up another mbuna species.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you know i was kinda thinking along the same lines as JD and Fog ... yes it was only jewels who were injured (a lab is now nipped but i saw it happen) again by the jewel "big daddy".. we are setting up the 45 hex for them now and taking some media from another tank to seed the filter... should take about a day or two as i need to modify the filter to fit the odd shape right..... thank you for the advice it really helps to hear from those who know!!!! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts