Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I am new to the forum but have been reading through it a bit. My question is about how much filtration I need on my 125 gallon tank. I'm currently running two emporor 400s that came with the tank and I am wondering if I need to add another or maybe if it would b better to add a canister filter.

With weekly water changes my water stays pretty good but I think I am about over stocked. I currently hav...
Six zebras
One frontosa
One acei
One bumble bee
Four yellow labs
Two ob peacocks
A red empress a giraffe cichlid a red to hongi
Three synodontis a pleco
I think that's if but I may have forgot a few that I'm not sure what they r but any advice on it would b nice...
Thanks

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It depends how much you want to spend and how much you like maintainance. I am not a fan of cannisters because they are more work to maintain. An AC 110, can be cleaned in minutes without turning the filter off. This means you could do it weekly while doing a water change. They move a lot of water and are cheaper to buy than a cannister. Removing solid debris in a timely fashion will help keep nitrates low.
Whether you actually need another filter depends what you test readings are. If ammonia and nitrite are both at 0, adding another filter will not lower these numbers, nor will it lower nitrate numbers (unless you clean the filters often and remove solid debris).

·
Registered
625 Posts
You're in the recommended range for tank turn over, it's recommended that the total volume is turned over 4-6 times an hour. With two 400's you're turning over 6.4 times (not counting the loss of water displaced by your sand, decorations, fish, and glass thickness- the actual turnover is higher).

That said, if you can afford it, a canister is a great addition to a tank and adds some more circulation.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
IMO- Canisters are great. They are somewhat more trouble to flush out but need it far less often . On my 75 with one 2217 , I find three months is not unusual. I would not want to add more noise with HOBs. I like to tuck what little noise a canister makes down under the cabinet where I can't hear it. The impellers on HOB tend to fail far more often due to sand sucked in. Eheim has the impeller at the top and the water runs through all media before the pump so that sand is not likely to ruin the impeller. Each has it's good and bad points but I am buying more canisters 2217's when a good sale comes along.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you test your aquarium water using a good test kit and find that Ammonia and Nitrite do not register as being present, then I would say that your filtering is sufficient. That is unless you have some particles floating around that are not being filtered out at a fast enough rate for you. If you have too many particles floating then your mechanical filtering is not sufficient. If you have Ammonia or Nitrite present, then your biological filtering is not sufficient or is still cycling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts