Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to posting but have been using this forum and resources for a while.

I am setting up a Lake Malawi 75g in about 4-6 months. I am going to start cycling towards the end of January. So I have plenty of time to get what I want.

My issue is deciding Mbuna,Peacock, Or mixed between the two. I have a LFS that is a Saltwater/Cichlid but every time I go in there the "African Cichlid Guy" isn't in. The staff mostly knows about saltwater setups. However the good part is they do have a large selection and very healthy fish and I will probably purchase the fish from them. I am looked at the cookie cutter builds and was very helpful, but still would like some guidance on the real difference between the two.

Any help would be helpful. Thank you and merry Christmas/happy holidays

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
Generally...

Peacocks are more peaceful with drab females and colorful males. Thus they are popular for an all-male tank but this is a challenging stock. Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros, cons and suggestions.

Mbuna are more aggressive and there are many with females just as colorful as males. With the right gender ratio (think in terms of 4 species and 1m:4f of each for a 48x18 tank) every fish in the tank can be happy and colorful.

I'd avoid mixing until you have kept some of each and become familiar with their temperaments. Mbuna are very often too aggressive for peacocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick reply!

I would prefer to have males and females. Do you think that I should just pick 4-6 of each species that are peaceful-mildly aggressive?

For Mbuna I see a cookie cutter build but don't see any peacock recommendations. Would anyone have any peacock stocking recommendations.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd get a few dissimilar stuartgranti peacocks, avoid jacobfreibergi type peacocks, and maybe a copadichromis trewavasae and/or copadichromis azureus. That would be maxed out for a 75 in my opinion.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
With males and females, peacocks are one species per tank because they cross breed...and also it's pretty impossible to ID peacock females from different species once you mix them in a tank. Then, if you ever need/want to sell them that will not be an option because you will have no ID for them.

Not all species are compatible just because they are peaceful-mildly aggressive. You want fish that look nothing alike and it usually is helpful to choose different genera. For example:
1m:4f Labidochromis nkhata
1m:4f Pseudotropheus acei
3m:9f Chindongo saulosi

(Usually you don't want more than 20 fish in a 75G but the saulosi are peaceful and smaller. It seems to work with them, but I would not substitute something else for saulosi in this stock plan.)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly about either doing all male peacocks or plan on never selling or giving away fry if you have multiple species with females. The fry can be dealt with using synodontis catfish and/or euthanized if you don't want to keep them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.