Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A lake by my house has a mass supply of rocks (the darker ones between the two stacks on the sides) This tank is only a 75gl. It is stocked with your basic mbuna and a Livingston and Red Empress. All fish are at least 3in except for the Livingston (5in). Should I remove the rocks I just added to give more swimming room or should I leave it the way it is. Also should I take out the light colored ones and just add more of the dark ones. I know the correct answer to my aquascape is whatever I like, but I am just looking for some comments. Sorry for the blurry pics, using my cell phone.

Thanks

old setup:

new setup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think you have too much rocks at all, my 75 has about the same however I did use eggcrate. (mines all glass brand as well)

I have limestone in my tank, mostly a dark grey variety but I also have the light brown as accent colors. If you would just mix the two colors alittle bit more i think you would love the results

·
Registered
174 Posts
The new setup looks great. Personally I like keeping my rock types separate - it makes you tank look like it is made of of several smaller areas, rather than one big area. You are fine with the amount of rocks.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
not "needed", but it helps.

gives you a stable base to build off, spreads the weight a bit (stops it concentrating on 1 point, and spreads it to the edge of the cells.) stops the rocks scratching the glass, and to a degree adds a cushion between the rocks and glass, so if they do fall they don't focus all their weight again (possibly still crack the tank, but its less likely)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
cichlidNub said:
Is eggcrate really needed?
Debatable, but definatly not manditory... I don't have any in my tanks anymore. I had a piece in my 40g long, on top of my UGF to keep to Mbuna from digging and uncovering it but took it out and never put it back in.
Oh and, you new rock stack looks much better to me :thumb:

·
Registered
319 Posts
i think that them new rocks make the tank look much better, its a malawi tank afterall and those fish, especially mbunas are supposed to have as much rocks/caves as possible, the more the merrier :lol:

500l malawi setup with limestone rock taken from local quarry

4 aulonacara sp. "iwanda"
1 metriaclima estherae
1 astatolapia burtoni
2 metriaclima callainos
3 metriaclima zebra "flameback"
3 metriaclima zebra
4 melanochromis johanii
4melanochromis auratus[/u]

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Looks great.
I love rocks stacked.
Bet the fish like it better too.
:thumb:

·
Registered
803 Posts
i concurr, looks good. Plus there is plenty of room for your fishies to swim around. But it comes down to whether or not you like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts