Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as too much oxygen in the water? Since my sump has gone south I capped off my over flows and added a FX5. and took the mag drive pump and place it into one of the over flows to help circulate the water. I added a couple of PVC pipes off the pump to create a spray bar accross the top. Since the water is moving at such a high rate it is creating a high volume of bubbles in the water. Can there be too much o2 in the water that it will harm the fish?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think O2 saturation tops out, but I hear bubbles in fish gills can cause problems. Haven't experienced it myself though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah, too much airbubbles in water gets into their gills and will eventually cause problems.
I cant remember exactly, but it may have to do with getting too much gas in their system and may cause to form bubbles in their blood. Or something along the inability to 'breath' properly...kinda like haveing water in your lungs, but the other way around with the fish.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
If your worried about the bubbles you might move the spraybar lower into the tank to eliminate the surface churning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts