Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just got my 75G stocked last night! Question is: My Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta are hovering, and swimming near the bottom. I thought they should be swimming mid to upper level as they were in the breeder's tank. Maybe too much current? I have a 75G with a Mag7 return pump in the refugium/sump. Quite a bit of flow, just wondering if that would be preventing them from swimming mid-level?
Suggestions are welcome!
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,880 Posts
Mine use all levels of the tank but dive for the bottom and the rocks when threatened. They probably just need a week or two to feel comfortable. Do you have 12 or more? Other tank mates?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The breeder only had 6 Cyps, I also have 5 Caudopunks (1-1.5 inch juveniles), 6 Multies which seem to be hiding as well! and 4 -2 pair of Xenotilapia Ochrogenys. (breeding size).
The Caudo's are swimming among the rocks, the Multies are very shy sticking to the shells...only see 3 or 4 at a time, Cyps are hiding among the rocks, and the Xeno's are swimming along the sand naturally.
I was just concerned that maybe I had too much flow, but maybe they just all need to acclimate!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just added the sponge prefilter to the Mag7 return pump which will slow the flow a little bit. Maybe the fish just need a week or two as you suggested to acclimate to the new environment.
Any suggestions or info is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
40,880 Posts
What is your gph? Mine is 7X and cyps have no problem. But I would get at least another 6 as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My pump is rated at 750GPH. So in a 75G, that makes it 10x, but actually a little less because of the slight head loss. Call it 9x

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just went to a head loss calculator, and I am pushing about 7x turnover. So I should be ok!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything is fine in the tank. Fed them all, and all is well. It was just the fish
acclimating to the new conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts