Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, just set up my 75 Gallon mixed African tank and wanted to get your opinions on how much water movement I have.

Let see, I have am AquaClear 70 HOB on the Left side and the spray bar of my fluval 403 positioned horizontally on the right side, with the intake positioned next to the intake of the HOB.

In addition to that I have two MaxiJet 1200's position on either side of the tank pointing towards the center front glass. This creates quite a flow, which some people have told me African's don't enjoy.

Is this too much?

The AquaClear is rated at 300gph, Fluval at 317GPH, and the MaxiJets at 295gph

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my 75 Gallon mixed African tank i have a Rena XP3 that does 350GPH and two Penguin Powerheads rated at 300 GPH with Reverse Flo Kits going down the up tubes of my under gravel filter. with this much flow i don't have anything collecting in my gravel and its easier then the UGJ. iI also run a magnum 250 with the micron filter every once in awhile to get the water really clear.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a ton of flow in my 125 - 2 AC110's pushing 500gph each (nominally, probably less in reality), and a rio hyperflow pump in my sump pushing at least 1200gph at the operating head.

I've always had concerns about all that flow negatively affecting my fish. For example, I believe my fish a slower growth rate than these mbuna species typically should. Although I can't directly place a blame on any reason for this or even confirm that the growth rate is slower than it should be, I've always suspected the flow - if the fish spend more time swimming in the current, more food energy goes to moving leaving less for growing? Makes logical sense to me, but I don't pretend this parragraph is anything other than my own paranoid speculating, and for all I know my fish could be perfectly normal.

Still, the ultimate plan will be to remove the AC110's from duty, and dial back the sump a little bit by diverting some of the return flow back to the sump. Just haven't found the motivation to change what is currently working, ya know?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Rhinox said:
I've always had concerns about all that flow negatively affecting my fish. For example, I believe my fish a slower growth rate than these mbuna species typically should. Although I can't directly place a blame on any reason for this or even confirm that the growth rate is slower than it should be, I've always suspected the flow - if the fish spend more time swimming in the current, more food energy goes to moving leaving less for growing? Makes logical sense to me, but I don't pretend this parragraph is anything other than my own paranoid speculating, and for all I know my fish could be perfectly normal.
In most species (including humans) exercise at key developmental stages stimulates growth. If you google "exercise, growth and fish" a lot of links come up suggesting the same is true for many fish species. A sample is provided below:

http://www-csgc.ucsd.edu/BOOKSTORE/Reso ... Lowery.pdf

I'm not suggesting that this would be true of all fish as some fish would be stressed by the water movement, which could inhibit growth. However, I've seen many posts on this forum describing how mbuna seem to "play" in the jet stream created by powerheads. That doesn't suggest they are stressed by the water flow. Some mbuna species (eg. saulosi) actually seem to live in strong currents in the lake. This is their natural habitat.

Obviously you can have too much of a good thing though. If this was the case, my guess is you'd see other signs that your fish are stressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Interesting read...

So far I have seen the fish sort of getting pushed around in the current. I decided to unplug one of the powerheads, and it seems to be better for them. When I have more time tomorrow I will experiment more.

Anyone else have this much flow in their tanks with no signs of fish stress?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts