Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 26 gallon bowfront with a breeding pair of convicts.....i have a whisper 1030i, an aquaclear 20, and a walmart 10-15 size going....the overall out put is soewhere around 360....is this too much? the cichlids are adults and are not affected by the current

·
Registered
625 Posts
They are not affected by the current, so I'd say you're fine. It is turning your tank water over 18 times an hour, that is about what my 75 does and I see no real flow hazard. You could take a filter off if you really wanted.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Lots depends on your personal outlook as much as the fish in this case. If/ when the fish begin to spawn, you may see need for some change to avoid so much chance of getting fry sucked in, etc. Meanwhile the question might be how much you want to maintain. At any given time there is more wear and tear as well as just filters to clean. I currently have a ten gallon with three filters hanging on it! I'm keeping the bacteria alive and planning to move a filter over to another tank later. Right now, I have nine medium sized Africans in the ten so don't feel it hurts to have lots of filter. If I had a more reasonable group for a ten, and had no plan for the filter moving, I might shut one down. Right now each filter running does just a bit of heating and I have all the heating I can handle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
nope cant really over filter. more filters the better.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It is not too much

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe they are the type of person that likes to stand out in 100mph wind all day and night.
[/b]There isn't a such thing as too much filtration but, you don't need to overkill it either. 748johnd has a valid point.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In essence, you can't over filter a tank.

Bio, you can only filter biologically what is there. Converting Ammonia into Nitrites and then into Nitrates. There is no threshold to filter more ammonia than is there. No harm here.

Mech, you can only remove from the water what is there. Trapping physical particles in filter media. There is no threshold for removing too much mechanical waste. No harm here.

It seems its not possible to over filter. One could, however, argue that the current created by filters could be too much for the fish. So the question we are really posing here is, too much current?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Too much filtration is not a problem.

Too much current caused from the filters will kill fish. Yes I've done it.

Think of the filter currents as tread mills. When someone forces you to run on the tread mill 24/7 you will die of exhaustion. Yes excercise is good for the heart but can also kill you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a very logical and easy answer to situations like this. Obviously you need more tanks to put all this filtration on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts