Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if doing water changes everyday is a bad thing? I got some wood that has been in my tank for almost 4 months and now all of a sudden its leaking tannins into the water. Woke up the other day and my tank water was yellow. Its such a process to remove it that I've been doing water changes everyday and added some carbon to my filters.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
As long as the tap water has the same parameters as the tank water, doing daily water changes is not a problem. Nevertheless, you might want to take that piece of wood out and inspect it closely. Is it still nice and firm everywhere, or is there a part - maybe on the back - that has started decomposing and is soft. Wood that has started rotting is not longer suitable for a tank, because it will not only leach tannins, but can put a huge bioload on a system.

·
Registered
584 Posts
In addition to what fmueller said, I'll add that myself and many others do daily water changes in our fry growout tanks to ensure rapid growth. In fact, I do 80% a day, without problems. I make sure to use enough quality water conditioner, and my water parameters are not modified by anything.

One cause for concern could indeed be the wood. I know if I had wood in one of my tanks I would be in trouble, my water is very hard with a high pH, would typically softens water and lowers the pH. So, for me, daily changes would keep the water hardness and pH high, and then switching to weekly water changes later thus resulting in much lower conditions, that could be a problem. That's why I never introduce anything that changes my water conditions, too much to deal with! But if your water is already soft and acidic, then it won't make much of a difference.

Finally, remember that things like lots of water changes are usually a way to treat a symptom (yellow water) not the cause. If your wood is still nice and firm but leeching tannins your fine, but if it's rotting you want to remedy that, not just keep the water change so it "looks"; okay. Often when there is a discussion about algae you'll see folks talking about reducing nitrates / phosphates, rather than how to get rid of algae. It's not enough to have something eat up all the algae or scrape it off, if you have excessive amounts, you need to know why it's there. Same applies here, check that wood!

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just ended up taking the piece of wood out, it wouldn't clear up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts