Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been growing out the Nic babies with the parents in the 46g. They are over 1.5" now so time to take them to the pet store. The LFS only wants (has room for) ten. The chain stores in town is not allowed to buy them. I put some on Craigslist but no bites. What do I do with the rest. I guess I will have to put them down .

I could try fish stores in Richmond, but not worth the gas to get $1 a fish from them.

I also have 100 or so HRP growing out. My other fish wont eat them either.

Heres a vid of the chaos. I'm surprised the parents still go easy on them. And yes thereis a bunch of BA Tetras mixed in.

....Bill

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow, beautiful parents. One of my top "want list" cichlids. Just love that forehead...

Why not try selling them on aquabid? You'll probably get better prices thann you LFS is offering. Although it is understandable if you don't want to deal with shipping.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shipped before but this time of year is tough to ship. Plus I didnt think they are that rare.

Ya the male is a bruiser. Almost 8" I would guess.

....Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wish I could get my hands on some nics, been wanting some for awhile. Out here where I'm out they're hard to find. A beautiful fish

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't call them rare, but they're definitely uncommon around here. I've never seen any available locally. Even online I haven't seen that many available.

I had some 1" ps. Saulosi shipped to me in the dead of winter and they were fine. They were even shipped priority, not over night. Obviously not ideal, but just throw a couple 72hr heat packs in and they should be ok. Just make it clear that they are shipped at buyers risk this time of year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe they are Hypsophrys nicaraguensis

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well if you decide you want to ship them let me know please, would love to have a couple. Can't get any around here and can't find any online either. There are no clubs around here and the lfs just stock the common cichlids that everyone wants.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I wish we could get some of the nice Nics up here! The ones we have a soooo bland and there really seems to be a shortage of females. . . :-?

Good luck moving them on, it really is a shame when a great cichlid goes through a cycle of "overdone" and disappears from the hobby.

Ray

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
MonteSS said:
I also have 100 or so HRP growing out. My other fish wont eat them either.

....Bill
How big are the HRPs?

If you would be willing to ship to NY I'd be definitely interested!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took 15 Nics to the LFS and got $1 each store credit.

The rest are going to my Cichlid club to be given out at the next meeting.

The HRP are just starting to look like fish and most have their stripes.

I guess about 100 of them. The big one at 45 secs is a HRP x Con hybrid i found in the other tank.

Video

Thanks for the help....Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bummer, was hoping you'd be willing to ship some of those nics. But atleast your getting rid of them though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure there will be more in the spring when its better to ship.

....Bill

·
Registered
161 Posts
When the weather gets warmer I hope you will reconsider and ship some of your fish. I am in the same boat as you with F2 Rio Mongo Cutteri. I have dozens of them. When the weather is warmer I will definitely ship some of these ... they are just too beautiful not to share. Best of luck in rehoming the baby nics!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sure thing FishGuy! I just pulled about 100 from a different spawn. Those Rio Mongo's are gorgeous. Babies are fat, feisty and always hungry...kind of like me :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Keep me in mind also. Those guys look beautiful. I will take a few of them also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts