Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so enough lurking these forums. I have read countless threads on this forum and so far very informative on everything from supplies to stocking. Now it's my turn to get help from the experts. I have seen a few videos of tank stocked fully on youtube and have been told this is ideal to reduce aggression. I recentely changed from a freshwater community ( bala Sharks, mollys, platys ) to a African Cichlids setup. All my cichlids are juvi's except maybe 3 which are about 3 inches. I believe I have about 22 fish in my tank ( give or take one ) and started thinking I am overstocked. I am already planning a larger tank upwards in the 100 gallons. For now these fish are small and my filtration is setup for 100 gallons. The water levels are good and I do a 20% twice a week just to be safe. My two questions are:

1. On daily feedings how long do most Malawi Species take to grow full size. I don't have any of the larger species mostly the small species ( Electrics and such ) ?

2. On my 56 gallon long am, I overstocked with the amount of fish I have?

3. Was it possible the new tank mates killed my pleco since a few days after I added the cichlids my pleco died but was doing awesome on the community setup which was the same tank decor and everything?

I also have been lucky to say i have lost NO fish except my pleco after i added the cichlids. I also have not seen too much aggression only the occasional chasing around of fish but no fights

Below is a link of my tank if you want to see what I am working with. I know it does not even come close to comparing with some of the setups some of yu guys have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MY 56 GALLON

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Need more info on some of your questions, but answers/comments here:
1-Depends on the species and whether you are talking sexual maturity or maximum length. Electric is a common name that could apply to several fish.
2-What are the dimensions and shape of the 56G? What species and male:female ratios do you have in the tank?
3-Yes definitely possible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
that should actually work i had a pretty crazy african setup work with around 20 fish or so

just watch the peacocks u have in there the males may not get along

·
Registered
70 Posts
You also have Juvie Auratus, which may or not be a female, so depending on what your shooting for you may have issues down the road.

·
Registered
509 Posts
With the plan of going to a 100g I'd say you are fine though. You are diligent about the water so as long as that continues you will have happy fish (which your video proves).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Need more info on some of your questions, but answers/comments here:
1-Depends on the species and whether you are talking sexual maturity or maximum length. Electric is a common name that could apply to several fish.
2-What are the dimensions and shape of the 56G? What species and male:female ratios do you have in the tank?
3-Yes definitely possible.
The tank itself is 48' long, 15' wide and "17 tall. as far as sexing these fish I have read and understood the males are more colorfull than the females however I'm still having a hard time telling the difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
niktam said:
You also have Juvie Auratus, which may or not be a female, so depending on what your shooting for you may have issues down the road.
I've heard the Auratus can be some of the most aggressive cichlids lucky for me the are kinda calm but who knows how they will work out in the long run.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well it boy/female is still very young and for the most part aggression doesn't kioc into high gear till they get a little bigger

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sexual dimorphism is a characteristic of only SOME mbuna, not all by any means. For example, yellow labs are very hard to tell, until you get a female holding (and if you witness the spawn, see the male).

EDIT: I also see some kenyi in that tank. Whatever LFS's "helped" you to decide on your stocklist didn't help anyone but themselves. They sold you fish that are not suitable for your tank. The auratus and kenyi, as well as what looks like a crabro (bumblebee) will all have to go, eventually.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
EDIT: I also see some kenyi in that tank. Whatever LFS's "helped" you to decide on your stocklist didn't help anyone but themselves. They sold you fish that are not suitable for your tank. The auratus and kenyi, as well as what looks like a crabro (bumblebee) will all have to go, eventually.
Please elaborate on what is and why is my stock not compatable...So even regardless of the amount of space and or hiding places this will not work? I already know both species are aggressive but are not all cichlids to a point and every species has it's own personality?

·
Registered
45 Posts
overstocking is good but with the right numbers 1m kenyi to 4 female kenyi, etc I have all agressive species in my mbuna tank and have to keep an eye on them, but you have some that are not as agressive as kenyi, auratas, or crabo, they will be in trouble, also I noticed a couple different peacocks and one female peacock, can;t really tell females species they all look alike so you might have hybrids, if they breed at all due to the other agressive species above in there with them...............going to 100 gallon(typically 5ft) is good and if you want to keep kenyi, auratas, and or crabo, get the correct M to F ratios and keep an eye on them. Their real agression doesn't come out for 6-8 months.
By the way the crabo's can grow to 8 inches one of the longest mbuna species.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JimNY said:
overstocking is good but with the right numbers 1m kenyi to 4 female kenyi, etc I have all agressive species in my mbuna tank and have to keep an eye on them, but you have some that are not as agressive as kenyi, auratas, or crabo, they will be in trouble, also I noticed a couple different peacocks and one female peacock, can;t really tell females species they all look alike so you might have hybrids, if they breed at all due to the other agressive species above in there with them...............going to 100 gallon(typically 5ft) is good and if you want to keep kenyi, auratas, and or crabo, get the correct M to F ratios and keep an eye on them. Their real agression doesn't come out for 6-8 months.
By the way the crabo's can grow to 8 inches one of the longest mbuna species.
Gotcha thanks for the reply good info.......I'm still learning all this cichlids stuff but I must add it's quite addictive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts