Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal with plenty of rocks in it. I originally bought 12 demasoni and 6 yellow labs. Now I have over 30 demasoni and 6 yellow labs. The demasoni range from full grown (3-4+ inches) to small fry. Will my demasoni population continue breeding? Will the numbers level off? Can my tank handle so many fish? I have an AQ500, AQ300, powerhead w/ filter, and I vacuum the sand and change 30% of the water weekly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
in a 55 i'd keep the numbers down on the demasoni to 12-15 maybe, a 75 would be better, any fish that you get from spawns i would probably take out. doesn't hurt to have another tank to raise up the fry either if you ever lose your originals.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
They will continue to breed. If you only have Demasoni and labs in there, 20 or more Demasoni is not terrible.

Get 3-5 Synodontis Multipunctatus for fry control. I had Lucipinnis and still had survivors, but those Multi's are more efficient!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had over 30 demasoni (mostly juvies) in a 55 with yellow labs. I would say at this point with juvies to not worry about it. What I would do is as you begin to identify males - remove them (I would not remove the dominant male - I would remove sub-dominant males). This would allow you to begin to have a large number of demasoni in your 55 with less aggression (if that is possible with demasoni) as most of your demasoni would be females.

A large group with lots of rock work will work and look good in your 55 if you are willing to do the tank maintanence (cleanings, water changes).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
:lol:

I started out with 20 adult demasoni in a 55G. 6 months later, I sold them, and when I went to bag them to take to the new owner, I gave up counting at 75.

You should be fine with that filtration and diligent water changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts