Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general question to fish(mainly cichlids) with loud noises occurring near fish tanks? I have a small machine shop and have been considering setting up a tank or two at the shop. There are at times very loud noises and would not want to harm the fish or cause them any undo stress. Setting them up in this environment would be OK? Bad?

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
I think it would be a bad idea for a couple reasons mainly because of how a machine shop operates including metal working fluids and waste produced that may become airborne and the potential to get in the aquarium.

Sound can also be an issue but is usually related to direct contact with the tank such as if you tap on the glass. I've had the stereo on very loudly and didn't notice any fish issues but of course this was an intermittent event. Constant vibrations from operating machinery may be more problematic long term and I don't think this has been studied in our hobby.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it would be a bad idea for a couple reasons mainly because of how a machine shop operates including metal working fluids and waste produced that may become airborne and the potential to get in the aquarium.

Sound can also be an issue but is usually related to direct contact with the tank such as if you tap on the glass. I've had the stereo on very loudly and didn't notice any fish issues but of course this was an intermittent event. Constant vibrations from operating machinery may be more problematic long term and I don't think this has been studied in our hobby.
Thank you. I have been wrestling with it in my mind. Would have set them up in an area separated from the actual machines, have a small entrance/office area. Your point of airborne chemicals makes a lot of sense, and for that and the noise/vibrations I think I will pass on doing this.

You also hit on another topic that came to mind after posting this, the home stereo. I would guess normal listening occasionally wouldnt be too much of a bother to the fish. I have several tanks setup now in my mancave/office at home now, and I do like my tunes from time to time.

Thank you for confirming what my gut was telling me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My fish tank is right next to my office, in which I have my grand piano as well as my other instruments including my 4x10 300 watt bass amp. I play both regularly, and fairly loudly... because I like to. The fish seem to be completely unaffected by these noises. On the other side of the fish tank is our theater/video game room. I've never noticed the fish caring about loud movies or video game noises.

That being said, when I play, particularly bass, I stomp my foot... somewhat unpredictably. The first few of these stomps seem to startle the fish, like any sudden thump.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Agree with the noise issue...but even more the chemicals issue. There is a hobbyist machine shop attached to my home but separated from the fish room by several other rooms with closed doors. The chemicals do travel through the air more than we expected when our set up was designed.

Reactions: jeb5573
1 - 5 of 5 Posts