Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grow out tank with a couple dozen grow out managuense. They are all F1 from my wild pair of Honduran managuense. The largest of them is one inch...some smaller. Even at that small size it's easy to see how pretty they will be.

Like the adults, they will often assume this position, waiting for food to be thrown in the tank. This is one several males in the tank.

You can see how easy it is to sex the fish even at this size. The male is proportionately larger than the females.

Two females

The largest of the males looking for food at the bottom of the tank. ON all of my tanks, I feed small amounts more often rather than once or twice a day. That way I am sure everyone is eating and there is a minimum of food left over. All of these fry are in the tank with a very large Pleco. No food is left over in this tank. ;)

One of the males looking for some food at the bottom of the tank.

While I can't say for sure, it appears as if the fins grow faster than the body of the fish...much like a puppy growing into his paws.

A tiny piece of dried krill ready to be gobbled up by a female

Male with a mouthful

Female in mid yawn. When I take these photos I keep the camera to my eye scanning the tank full of fry looking for an opportunity for a shot. Sometimes it's just timing.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mo does the blue only come out in the pictures or do you see it when you just look at them. The reason why I'm asking is that I might get a Jag since you always post those nice pics of your adults but all the Jags in the stores I see over here are around 2-3" and are very drab. My guess is that they are probably F1000 and yours might be wild or F1.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reiner said:
Mo does the blue only come out in the pictures or do you see it when you just look at them. The reason why I'm asking is that I might get a Jag since you always post those nice pics of your adults but all the Jags in the stores I see over here are around 2-3" and are very drab. My guess is that they are probably F1000 and yours might be wild or F1.
The fish in the photos are in fact F1. The answer to your question is that it is visible in the larger fish. Pretty difficult to see it in the smaller fry. Once they get to two or three inches it's very visible in the male.

Here's one at three inches:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome pics as usual mojo. Your pics inspired me to step up to the plate and give photography a go.

If you dont mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about photography.

I once read in another thread that you are using some great equipment (multiple flashes and a nikon D3 or 300 I think). I'm new to photography and just picked up a D3100 with an 18-55 VR lens and a 55-200 VR lens back in December. No tripod or external flashes.

Could you give me any pointers on how to take some good pics of fish? I've been playing around with all the dif options on the camera trying to get good pics of everything and anything. My managuense had babies the other day and I attempted to take pics of the parents and the fry last night. The fry are only about a 1/2 inch. The pics I got of them are ok I guess but I certainly cant zoom in much at all before they become blurry. As fr the parents (about 7" and 5"), while I can get pretty clear pics of them, i can not get the colors to show up in my pics the way you do. The pics either come out great with no blue or red in them, or I can get some color but the rest of the pic is garbage (to dark, terrible color lighting with blueish tint etc). I'm sure I need some better equipment (ie lenses or flashes) to get the level of pics you take, but perhaps there are certain settings I can adjust to make decent pics with what i have.

Sorry for rambling and I'd appreciate your input if you have time.

BTW, sweet car on your site, I have a 98. :thumb:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FbodyFan said:
Awesome pics as usual mojo. Your pics inspired me to step up to the plate and give photography a go.

If you dont mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about photography.

I once read in another thread that you are using some great equipment (multiple flashes and a nikon D3 or 300 I think). I'm new to photography and just picked up a D3100 with an 18-55 VR lens and a 55-200 VR lens back in December. No tripod or external flashes.

Could you give me any pointers on how to take some good pics of fish? I've been playing around with all the dif options on the camera trying to get good pics of everything and anything. My managuense had babies the other day and I attempted to take pics of the parents and the fry last night. The fry are only about a 1/2 inch. The pics I got of them are ok I guess but I certainly cant zoom in much at all before they become blurry. As fr the parents (about 7" and 5"), while I can get pretty clear pics of them, i can not get the colors to show up in my pics the way you do. The pics either come out great with no blue or red in them, or I can get some color but the rest of the pic is garbage (to dark, terrible color lighting with blueish tint etc). I'm sure I need some better equipment (ie lenses or flashes) to get the level of pics you take, but perhaps there are certain settings I can adjust to make decent pics with what i have.

Sorry for rambling and I'd appreciate your input if you have time.

BTW, sweet car on your site, I have a 98. :thumb:
Unfortunately the best advice I can give you is to invest in a good off camera flash unit. That's the key to getting color and detail. I shoot 99% of all my photos with a minimum of two...most often three flash units. Sometimes I add the actual flash from the camera (an option provided in commander mode) to fill in some of the minute detail.

The basics is to position yourself in front of the subject and point your camera at a slight angle down to bury and flash flare. The rest is really just practice. Shoot lots of pictures and don't settle for the norm.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that. Hope it helps. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts