Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a deal on some BC calvus (6 for 40) that was yesterday and i'm due for my weekly water change. just been doing them out of habit recently changed the tank to a Tang setup and been housing 5 mulits in my 75g,over kill much?, nitrates have only been reading at the 5-10ppm at the end of the week. so my question is would it be fine to skip this week just so they can settle in a little more before i disturb them with a water change?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sure you can skip. My nitrates run between 20 and 40ppm.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Doing a weekly waterchange should not disturb em they should get used to it.
For sure everyone misses em occationaly no big harm unless the tank is highly stocked (which it is not in this case) though next time you do one they will hide more than if done regularly.

All the best James

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
might go ahead and do a smaller one then normal just wanted to let them get settled in bit more before doing one just hit the 24hr mark of them being in the tank, probably just being overly paranoid about them :fish:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always wait until the added fish is eating regularly and has found his place in the tank before I do water changes. YOur nitrates are fine so there is no need to worry about that. I always get nervous when I add a new fish even 6 years in the hobby lol. And alot of the things I do are more out of superstition then proven fact. As long as you don't take out to much water you would be fine doing a water change. Personally I wouldn't do more then about 20 percent if I were going to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have not really been doing large ones anyways 5 multies = barely any waste :lol: but decided to wait till later today and they deff seem to be eating normally already dropped some food in there and all six shot out of the rocks like torpedos and waited for more after it was gone haha

·
Registered
173 Posts
I usually do a 25% change every 4 days, but frequentlly miis on this schedue. When I am way behind I usually do a 10% and then 2 days later rmy normal 25% change. I have never seen that this has been a problem. I am not saying massive water changes are bad. Just that I have never felt them needed

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well my normal water change is 25-30% every sunday figured i'd just do a 10% this week and then start my normal routine again

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dont be surprised if they hide for almost a week when you do a water change. Doesnt mean they are sick. It takes them some time to get over being in a new tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.