Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on adding a Pleco to a mixed Malawi 125 gallon tank. I thought I may benefit from a fish that might help clean the film that develops on the glass. I can easily clean it myself each water change, but I thought a Pleco might be cool to have. I don't want a Common Pleco however, they just get way too big. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My experience with plecostomus is that once they reach full size they just lay around and hide, eat anything but algae on the glass and poop a lot.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just got a bristlenose pleco recently. I'm so glad I did. He cleaned everything.
You rarely see him, usually stuck upside down on a rock, but he does his work when the lights are off, and he's so **** good at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would highly recommend getting a few Bristlenose Plecos. I use them in ALL my tanks. They do an amazing job of cleaning up, they don't get to big they max out around 5" and once they start growing those bristles they look pretty cool. When I had my 125g I had like 4-5 of them in there. Just remember with these you will need a little bit of driftwood in there for them cause they need that for there intestinal track. If I'm wrong about this please someone correct me. Keep us posted what you decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can always try one and see how it works out. You can always add more later on if that's what you decide to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts