Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering adding a group of 5 or 6 sterbai or adolfoi or something similar that anyone could recommend(small to medium active) to my south american tank. I'm pretty well stocked, wondering if some corys would work. Tank is 3'x12"x20" planted with branchy driftwood and rocks. Filtration is a single aquaclear 70. Stocking is 2 angels(not a pair), 1 m/2f apisto cauc double reds, and 15 cardinal tetras. I figure I'm pretty much stocked at this point or do I have some room to spare for corys? There is basically no interactions between the species in the tank currently, each ignore the others. One important consideration is that I would like to breed the cauc's. I know the angels will probably hinder that, but I've set up some caves for the cauc's that the angels would not be able to get into. So the question is in terms of stocking, and in terms of interfering with the cauc's breeding(eating eggs, etc) would these work? I'm not really into the dwarf species of cory nor the very large either. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The C. Sterbai are a good choice if you are keeping Angelfish as they are one of the few cory species that can handle the warmer water up to about 80f.
I have 5 in my 37 gallo tank with a pair of Anglefish, and a pair of Bolivian rams, temp is 79f and they all seem to be doing very well :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, sterbai along with adolfoi are the ones I'm looking at. Any affects on breeding of the angels and rams with the corys in the tank with them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Bolivians spawned about a month ago, both the ram's defened the spawn site very well, if the corys came to close they just chased them away, but without doing any harm to them :) .
When my angles spawned, it was on the filter pipe just under the water level! so it was not really in the reach of any corys as they are always stuck to the bottom, I don't even think they noticed that there had been a spawn in the tank :D .

I think that there may be problems once any fry are free swimming, as mine were getting picked of at an alarming rate by the lemon tetras, and I think the corys would have had a go at a few straglers as well if they were given the chance, so I moved 25 to a 10 Gallon tank so that I could save a few.

I have never owned any C. Adolfoi but have just checked another site and it states they are best kept at a temp of 68-78.8°F.
The C. Sterbai can go a little bit higher at 75.2-82.4°F.
IMO you should be able to pull it off with either of those species, as the Bolivian rams don't need a water temp in the 80s.

BTW: Corys will need a fine gravel or smooth sand if they are to do well, having a large grained substrate or one that "feels" sharp! will wear their barbels away, and once that happens you will most likely lose them :( .

Cheer's...PanzerWels...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts