Metriaclima emmiltos "Red Top Zebra"15.88%
Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Chewere"211.76%
Another Mbuna Species - Please list635.29%
Keep the Cobue00.00%

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could use some more opinions in what my 4th species should be in my 110G Mbuna tank (48"W x 19"D x 30"H). My main goal is to have the most amount of color possible without creating disaster. I have adequate filtration, plenty of hiding places and good water chemistry, and myCurrent stocking list is as follows:

9 - L. Caeruleus - 3:6 ratio, adult/sub adult which are currently breeding. I will eventually narrow these down to the best 5 or 6 and continue breeding them.

5 - Acei - 2:3 ratio, sub adult. I hope to get a them to breed, or at leat not be too stressed, so I can't add any species that are too aggressive.

5 - Afra Cobue 1:4 ratio, currently breeding. I also have 9 fry in my 20G tank. The male is starting to color up, but the females are just too drab, so I'm getting bored with them.

1 - Pink Peacock Hybrid which is the boss of the tank. I am not attached to this fish, especially since I am going for an all mbuna setup.

6 - Albino Socolofi - I haven't ordered these yet, but I plan to add them when I add my 4th Mbuna species, and I must have them :D

I want to ditch the Cobue and replace them with something more colorful. I have been reading alot and have come up with a few ideas. If anyone has another suggestion it would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I haven't voted yet...what variant of acei do you have?

kevin

·
Registered
597 Posts
Something rarer :) Not sure what species but maybe see what your LFS can order in for you.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sir Tristen said:
L. Trewavase or Rusties.
+1 on the Trewavase, love their faces :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
demasoni.... best color and movement

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mainganos would be definitely be more colorful . How about Met. Sp. Dolphin , Labeo Trewavasae "Red Top" (blue red top males & orange females) or Met. Callainos?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I voted for the cyaneorhabdos because it's on your list & think you could use some more blue. (I was wondering if your sp. Acei were the much bluer Ngara)

But demasoni or Giant demasoni would get the same colours.

but since you do get some blue from the acei, I would suggest some OB fish - metriaclima estherae, metriaclima fainzelberi & labeotropheus being the most available. I think Labeo's are too much fish for that tank though.

Good luck!

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I voted Maingano because I agree you need a darker fish. Or Demasoni would work too. Plus both are monomorphic so they fit the "more colorful" requirement.

Not everyone likes rare for the sake or rare, or goofy (labeos) or blotchy, LOL. It seems by your list you may be among that group. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Labeotropheus Fuelleborni or Trewavasae is my vote.
I also like Ridley's idea of Giant demasoni.

In my experience Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos are very aggressive and can inhibit spawning of other species in the tank.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow,

Thanks for all of the replies. This thread is the exact reason C-F.com is so much better than the LFS. I've spent the day researching all of the recommended fish (and working too :lol: ) and have come up with the following:

I am eliminating the following specimans due to the reasons given for each:

Labeotropheus Trewavase â€Å"Red Topâ€Â

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like the Met. callainos â€Å"Cobalt Zebraâ€Â

1 - 16 of 16 Posts