Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've had my tank running with fish since October 2010, so far it's been going great but I'm having a problem with my cement 3D BG. It's grown algae on it like crazy, almost black, I cannot scrape it off I've tried..Is there any way of getting rid of it or is this normal?

I had a lot of diatom algae at first but that has calmed down. This was an all new set up at time, fully cycled. I change about 1/3 of the water every week and use big al's water conditioner, kent cichlid buffer and nutrafin bio/waste controller with each change.

Here are some pics from a month ago...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just the regular fluorescent single, lights on from 3pm to 11 pm...tank receives no sunlight, it's in a dark room.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
ShagPower said:
i guess it's a mystery :eek:
There's no mystery when it comes to algae in a tank. Very normal, and you'll get all kinds. if it's a problem for you, try an algae cleaner like BN plecos or nerite snails.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's quickcrete hydraulic water stop cement. I pulled out all the rocks and noticed no algae on the BG where a rock was covering it. Trying to leave the tank in the dark for a couple days to see what happens.

·
Registered
326 Posts
but it looks like brown hair/beard algae. My background is covered in it solid. I lost my BN pleco and it quickly took over. I do get green algae on the glass but not so much on the rockwork. It going to take alot more than a couple of days in the dark to kill it I think as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not related to the algae, but is nutrafin bio/waste control supposed to be some bacteria-culture enhancer? If so, you're wasting your money. You don't need that with every water change. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts