Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen ich once before... on my goldfish several years ago. Currently about half of my haps/peacocks look like they have something like ich, except the little white spots seem a lot smaller. Mostly in the head/gill area and top half/front half of the body. A couple of fish who don't appear to have ich do have some damage to scales or fins. Most fish are not eating as much, and many of them are spending time near the surface of the water. I've got everything from 2-inch OB and VC-10, to 8-inch Venustus, about 14 fish total.

Anyway... I've been lax with water changes lately, so my nitrates are way too high. Started water changes yesterday with about 30-40% and will change the same amount again tomorrow. I've read some articles indicating you don't want to drop nitrates too drastically, so that's what I'll try.

I've also begun dosing salt. Tank is a 125g. Subtracting out salt from the water change yesterday, I'm probably up to about 15 tablespoons of salt. Believe it's recommended to get up to about 25 tablespoons for a 125g tank. Tank is up to about 84-86 degrees. Ammonia and nitrites are zero. Water here is very hard and ph is about 7.5. Turned the light off all day yesterday and today to try and help reduce stress.

Just checking to see if there's anything else I should be considering - either a different disease or a different treatment.

Thanks in advance -

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lost two fish today. The white spots now appear more like a fuzz than ich, so I began treating with an API fungal/bacterial treatment. Doesn't appear to be bloat.
Nitrates now down to a more manageable 40, down from well over 100. All other parameters normal. Only question I have is about salt and whether or not I should change something about that now that I'm using the API treatment.

Also - just FYI - if you shop for supplies at one of the big box pet stores, make sure you price match the online prices. I saved almost 50%.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll just keep chatting with myself here. Dosed second treatment of the API meds today. Lost one more fish yesterday and one today, a Fryeri Iceberg and a Ruby Green (victorian?). Another 48 hours and the treatment calls for 25% water change and putting carbon in the filter. Having green water is really weird but I've kept the light off the last few days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but will try to help if I can. Can you post photos (close-ups) of the affected fish. What is the name of the medication you are using? I hope you're not using API Melafix and Pimafix, which is not an effective cure for anything IME.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I kept Discus in my 180gal my fish became sick and started dying. They had white fuzzy patches on their bodies and fins. I started using Melafix and Pimafix since I wasn't sure if the sickness was bacterial or fungal. I also maintained salt in the tank @ 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons.

My fish stopped dying but the white fuzzy patches didn't go away. I came to find out that Melafix & Pimafix don't have any real healing properties. They just make your water smell nice. The salt in the water did help somewhat.

I was directed by the experts on my Discus forum to run a treatment of Furan-2, and water changes @ 50% daily. This was effective and the fish I had left got better.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Is the fuzz white and in patches? Google columnaris and see if it looks like what you have. The quick deaths make me think of something more serious than just a run-of-the-mill fungus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Columnaris might be it. Here's a photo of the worst fish right now... water is green from meds. A couple fish barely have any fuzz at all, a couple have none. A couple of the ones that died didn't really show any symptoms on the surface.

Got home too late tonight, so I'll change some water and throw the carbon in the filter tomorrow morning per instructions on the API fungus meds. Then I guess I'll try something else. Internet recommends Furan and others for columnaris - is there anything else I should consider that might address other possibilities, or are they all basically just different antibiotics?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_VWHlr-XIPhwVf-Is4jQlUpLRyGtFDkh/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just had the same looking stuff on some cyps I ordered. I used everything and used it multiple times ultimately salt did it. I added 1 tblsp of salt per gallon after a week the spots left leaving only some damaged tissue that's healing to the point you can hardly tell it was ever there.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Try Kanamycin for columnaris. I would order it delivered overnight so you can begin as soon as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts