Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 90 gal Mbuna tank up and running for about 2.5 months now. I have a Emporer 300 and a Marineland 530 canister for filtration. Everythings done great with weekly 20-25% water changes. Nitrates always under 20.

Yesterday and more so today I've started noticing tons of tiny bubble collecting around the edges of the tank up at the water line.

Any ideas why? What do I need to do to remedy this? I haven't taken down the canister filter to clean it since I've had it set up - was planning on doing that with the next water change. Would that help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Protein bubbles? I really don't know what I'm talking about but the bottle of biological booster I bought says it breaks down protein foam. Its called micro-lift special blend. gl

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Any ideas why? What do I need to do to remedy this?
Dissolved organics. The remedy is water changes, although it's not necessarliy a problem that needs a remedy. I'd also suggest gently rinsing the sponges or whatever mechanical media exists in the canister. Go easy on that sinice it's still a fairly new setup. If you open it up and it doesn't look bad, just close it back up for now. I wouldn't add anything from a bottle to resolve this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm thinking it could be the water conditioner you use for your water changes. Like prov said, it's not a problem that needs a remedy, however cosmetically, it can be rather unsightly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gently rinsed the filters from the emporer last night to get rid of most of the gunk. I'd like to wait a little while before opening up the cartridge if I can help it since I just rinsed the HOB last night. I don't use any water conditioner so it can't be that. (I'm on a well with great water right out of the tap - I've sent samples to the ag testing place). I'll probably just wait a couple weeks and open the canister to rinse it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts