Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ! It's been a while since i've really posted here or paid much attention to my tanks :oops: but now i'm back with giving it time and effort, i just need to sort out stocking :)

at present I have:
5 juvie (looks 2m/3f) pseudotropheus tropheops sp. chilumba orange
3 male (2 albino, 1 normal) metriaclima greshakei
1 stunning labidochromis caeruleus
1 male labidochromis sp. hongi
1 unidentified looks like an elongatus ....

I've got the chance for:
Wild pseudotropheus tropheops sp. chilumba orange
F1 labidochromis caeruleus
F1 various morphs of "cynatilapia afra" i'm looking at the "jalo reef morph"

i would remove the unidentified and hongi but don't want to lose my greshakei, could i fit these four species ?? (chilumba, afra, greshakei, caeruleus)

the tank is 65gal 4foot x 18" x 18" and has more rock work and caves than you could shake a stick at (removing fish will be almost impossible, gonna try the 2 litre bottle fish trap...)

sorry for the long winded post but i really need help !
Thanks, Paul

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I think the four species would work (guessing on the tropheops) but I'd fix the m:f ratios so I had 1m:4f of each. Maybe more females for the tropheops since they are aggressive, not sure.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
My only concern would be the bachelor male greshakeis trying to breed with other females, particularly the afras.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, thanks for the fast replies :D if i were to remove 1 or 2 greshakei and bought 7-8 females for them would i be ok or would they still be after the afra ??

my stocking would be along the lines
2m/7-8f greshakei
6-7 caeruleus
2m/8f tropheops
1m/4f afra ??

70% WC weekly to keep check of nitrates then ??

thanks, Paul

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
padlock 08 said:
ok, thanks for the fast replies :D if i were to remove 1 or 2 greshakei and bought 7-8 females for them would i be ok or would they still be after the afra ??

my stocking would be along the lines
2m/7-8f greshakei
6-7 caeruleus
2m/8f tropheops
1m/4f afra ??
I think getting 4-5 greshakei females for your male would definitely help keep him occupied and likely he wouldn't bother the afra, but it might still happen. I think it's worth a shot though.

Stick with just a single male greshakei, single male tropheops, and a single male afra. The afra and Greshakei should be ok with ~4 females each, but I'd try and find 6-7 females for your male tropheops. I'm not sure about this particular species of tropheops, but some members of the genus are best kept in a 6-foot tank due to their high aggression.

Otherwise, looks like a neat stocklist. Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks for that :D i'll get rid of two greshakei and just keep my large albino male (first cichlid i ever bought 6 years ago, and also father of the first cichlids i ever bred :) ) i'll get 5 females, albino if possible to keep him occupied. Then bump up tropheops numbers, the tropheops I have now are bred from fish kept in a 5 foot tank but as there is so so much rock in mine i reckon i might get away with it because it should provide refuge and break up line of sight :) Afra's stay 1m/4 females and then the labs shouldn't matter very much on ratio.

did I miss anything ??

Thanks, Paul

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Are you still thinking of keeping the two male tropheops though?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no, remove one male tropheops, 2 male greshakei, the hongi and the unidentified. then buy 4-5 female greshakei 5-6 more female tropheops, 6 more labs and 1m/4f afra.

are jalo reef the best option or are there more interesting/colorful afra variants ??

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
There are quite a few variants. Here's a link to the profiles to the genus Cynotilapia
Note that some of those listed are rarely exported and thus pretty hard to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.