Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accepted that I have far too many fish in my 75g tank and it's time to make some cuts.

At one point I had nearly 27 cichlids in my tank, however many of them were 1-2". The upkeep and amount of water change I had to do was an eye opener. I cut down to 20 fish and trying to keep them all close to the same size. Majority are all around 3-4" in length. The venutus and fryeri are closer to the 5-6"

Aulonocara Baenschi 'sunshine peacock'
Aulonocara Korneliae 'gold and blue'
Aulonocara German Red
Aulonocara 'eureka red' x2
Aulonocara Stuartgranti 'hongi island'
bi-colour 500'
strawberry peacock
firefish peacock
dragonblood peacock
albino peacock
Copadichromis Borleyi 'red fin'
Lab. Caeruleus
Jacobfreibergi 'lemon jake'
Nimbochromis Venutus
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Protomelas Taeniolatus 'red empress'
Sciaenochromis Fryeri 'electric blue'
Sp. 44 haplochromis
Plecostromus

I know the lab is not a peacock or hap but the colour is just so hard to have without.
There is currently no aggression but it could be too soon to know.

If overstock, what would you recommend I cut out?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Due to the size that the following fish reach, I would look at removing these: Cop Borleyi, Nimbochromis Venustus, Protomelas Taeniolatus, and the Fryeri. I have seen mature fish of these species reach over 8 inches and the venustus can get up to 10.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Aulonocara Baenschi 'sunshine peacock'
Aulonocara Korneliae 'gold and blue'
Aulonocara German Red
Aulonocara 'eureka red' x2 Remove one of these
Aulonocara Stuartgranti 'hongi island'
bi-colour 500'

strawberry peacock
firefish peacock
dragonblood peacock

I'd remove two of the three above as you arleady have a eureke red and german red.

albino peacock
Copadichromis Borleyi 'red fin'
Lab. Caeruleus I'd remove; you already have a sunshine peacock
Jacobfreibergi 'lemon jake'
Nimbochromis Venutus I'd remove this one because I just don't like them!
Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
Protomelas Taeniolatus 'red empress'
Sciaenochromis Fryeri 'electric blue' Also not a favorite
Sp. 44 haplochromis
Plecostromus Probably would remove; I don't generally like plecos in African tanks

then I'd add four synodontis multipunctatus! :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:lol: Thanks everyone.

I should have knocked on wood or did something after saying yesterday "there is currently no aggression" I came home to find my lab floating at the top. :x I immediately tested the water. The water is safe. I haven't figured out who is responsible. At least I can say that's one cut I didn't have to decide on.

I removed the strawberry peacock, one of the eureka red, and the OB peacock. Sorry guys, for now the venutus, fryeri, red empress and borleyi are staying. These are the guys that got me interested in this hobby so it's not going to be easy to part with them. I will consider it when they get too big. I appreciate the suggestions.

As for the pleco, I will keep my eye open for syno's and do a trade if it's possible. What size would you recommend I get them at?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don't think the size will matter for your mulitpunctatus (petricola or lucippinis will work, too). the biggest thing is getting more than one at a time. These guys like groups . . . If you have a common pleco, not sure you'll get a trade to work for that . . . The synos are pretty valuable. Your best bet would be a local breeder (if you can find one) or ordering online. Around here, multipunctatus can be $50 a piece in a LFS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.