Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some beautiful fish but you can rarely see them. They all hide unless it's feeding time. So after scouring the web, several ideas emerged. Get some more fish that like to swim a little higher like the yellow tail acei. So...i just bought three of them.

Another idea was to rearrange my rock work. So I did that.

You can't see them but in this 4ft 55 gal are:
3 cobalt blue
3 rusties
4 yellow labs
2 demasoni
2 venustus
3 babies (don't know what yet nor if they'll survive the change)
and now 3 yellow tail acei

I know it's a lot of fish, but I have great filtration and I'm pretty good on my weekly 60% water changes. If this doesn't work I'm going to have to rehome everyone and do something else, I have no idea what but this stinks.

Top pic is the new rocks set up and below is old one, not a lot different but something.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't done Mbuna since 2008 but IIRC there are certain internal parasites that can cause the fish to become very reclusive and frightened like this. You might want to look into that. I've had a lot of the fish on your list and mine were usually out and about and interacting with the environment or begging for food.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Maybe try covering the back of your tank. If you do not want to paint or buy expensive backgrounds from a pet store, tape on construction or poster paper in the colour of your choice to see if it helps.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update...
adding the three acei's helped as did changing around the rocks. The acei's drew out the rest of the fish as they hover near the glass whenever I come by. Sometimes they hide but it's definitely gotten a lot more active.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts