Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once had a 55 gallon tank full of Socolofi and Soulosi. After a while, they slowly killed each other off. I eventually had to remove a pair of Soulosi out and keep them in 10 gallon quarantine tanks. All that is left in the 55 is a single hard ass Socolofi. I am not happy with this setup. I am thinking of getting 15-20 Tiger Barbs to put in the tank with the Socolofi. Is this a good idea? Could I do this and put the two Saulosi back in? Should I just sell them and start over? I would like to get your opinion on this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'm not sure why the tank did not work in the first place. Did you have only one male socolofi? And lots of females for each?

This should work:
1m:4f socolofi
3m:12 saulosi

I don't know the answer on the barbs. Maybe with one socolofi. Two saulosi should not work in either tank...are they male:female? What gender?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give it a try. I'm well aware what should work as far as m/f ratios go. I got them all as very small fish and had no idea of gender.. The final Socolofi is male, and I have 1 male and 1 female Saulosi. Hopefully I will be able to try another mbuna tank down the road when I have a little more time to invest.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd trade the saulosi in on the barbs. I'm thinking moving them might kick off the male being aggressive with the female and her death.

Or maybe you could keep the male socolofi and saulosi and trade in the female when you get the barbs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about that. The only thing concerning me though is that I'm pretty sure this Socolofi was the one that killed off every other fish I had.. besides that, I do hate to get rid of him, he's really a good looking and entertaining fish. Maybe they would get along in the 55 with about 20 barbs in there with them?

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
If you are saying just have 3 cichlids and the Tiger Barbs? While the Tiger Barbs might work, if the Socolofi was beating up the Saulosi before, I would not predict that the Socolofi would stop bothering the other 2 Saulosi. Having just 3 adult Mbuna in a tank is not good, it can be difficult to work out much of a solution.

How large are the 3 mbuna you have now? It would be easiest to start over. You could trying adding a bunch of juvenile mbuna with the Socolofi, and the Socolofi might not feel the need to be so tough if he is clearly king of the tank. He might mellow, or might be a jerk when they mature. No easy answer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seem to be as large as they're going to get, not all that big though, 4" maybe. I had the same thought. I hate to give them up though. I may just keep the current setup until I come across more of either for sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts