Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t have Tropheus yet, but I’ve been trying to learn the do’s and don’ts of setups to see what I would be getting myself into.

I plan on bringing in a 100g 5 foot tank within the year and thinking about a single Tropheus Moorii colony.

But a couple of questions on keeping a colony and producing fry.

Do tropheus consume their fry produced within a colony? Would the type of rock work arrangment make a difference to fry survival rates? ie. sparse with a couple of bigger stones or many caves and crevices?

Do you let the tropheus spit the fry in the tank and hope for the best or is it best to strip them and raise them separately? Are they then reintroduced to the tank when they're a little bigger or sold off?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
If I let them spit I get a few survivors. If I strip, I keep them in a breeder net for a couple months, then let them back in the main tank, and they usually all survive.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
frank1rizzo said:
If I let them spit I get a few survivors. If I strip, I keep them in a breeder net for a couple months, then let them back in the main tank, and they usually all survive.
+1. there are some that have better survival rates of Fry. Tropheus Bembas that I have had and seen seem to have a lot of fry hiding in the rocks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frank1rizzo said:
So there's not too much aggression issues with re-introduced juveniles?

I take it that if your intent is to strip the babies, then it's best to have just a few rocks then?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts