Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time keeping Multies, started out with 6 in a 75gal in March. At the time, I set up 2 shell beds. Since then, the following has happened in one of the shell beds:

May 15 - 1st group of Multie fry discovered - about 10 of them
May 30 - 2nd set of fry - about 10 more
June 12 - 3rd set of fry - about 10 more again.

All the while, the mother has been glued to the (fry) shell bed with frequent visits from the father who splits his time between the 2 shell beds. That's it, I've never seen any of the other adults anywhere near the (fry) shell bed. So it appears the one female is responsible for all 3 groups of fry.

Does this sound right? Is it normal to breed every 2 weeks like this? FWIW, the 2nd shell bed has produced no fry to date (not sure of the m/f ratio there yet).

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds about right, as long as there are enough shells. One of my females had 3 sets of fry in less than a month. Unless there was another female's eggs that the was protecting. Good luck with the fry!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cracks wrote:
Sounds about right, as long as there are enough shells. One of my females had 3 sets of fry in less than a month

Cool, thanks for confirming. The fry shellbed is a tight cluster of 16 whales eye shells. I guess the fish are telling me that's enough(?).

It's been amazing to see the father protect the fry from a group of 6 juvie Alto. Comps. He's fended them off so many times early on, they don't even wander nearby for a peek any more.
Best I can tell, I haven't lost a single fry to predators. Truly an amazing little fish.

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts