Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an eheim filter coming in the mail and was starting to wonder how I will set it up with the media. I have an Aqua Clear 110 on my back as well and was thinking of just doing bio and mechanical in there and than all three in the canister. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if you yourself run both.
This should give me a filtration for up to 270 on my 75gal tank. Currently I run my AquaClear with active carbon and ammonia neutralizing, purigen,sponge and ceramic rings.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
AC70 and Rena XP2 on a 55g.
Just sponge and double floss on the 70.
In the canister I have coarse/fine sponges, bio stars, carbon and floss.
When the carbon's done I'm going to double up the floss and just have the carbon on standby for removing meds.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think you'll go wrong however you set up these filters. (Good choices AFAIC.) To me the HOB is best for focusing on mechanical since it's easier to access and you can rinse media more often. On my 55 I run it now with sponge, floss, and purigen. (Never used the carbon, and recently removed the ceramic stars and used to seed another tank.)

If you don't really want to open up your canister for months at a time, you can make that the biological heart of your system, and go heavy on the ehfitsubstrat pro (or what have you) and maybe put a sponge prefilter on the intake. That's what I do with the 2229, which is a specialty bio-filter I'm not planning on messing with for a good 6 months. (The 2217 I have on the same setup is basically stuffed with sponge and floss, and will be doing mechanical duty/emergency bio.)

The other option is to have a little of everything (bio, mech, chem as desired) going on in each filter, and just alternate your maintenance on each and you should never have issues.

If the question comes down to "can I take my carbon and bio-stars out of my 110 after the Eheim is established," the answer is absolutely. I might put the bio-stars right in the Eheim to help get it seeded, and just leave them there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.