Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to the group on thoughts of a recent fish die-off. Tank is 60 gallon with two Fluval 406. Returns are in the center pointing to front corners and intakes in back corners. 50% WC every two weeks.
Ph is always 7.8. Ammonia is always 0 Nitrite is always 0. Nitrate is always 10. I have good surface agitation and fish are not stressed breathing.

Onne the tank was cycled I went to the LFS and added 4 yellow labs, 4 colbalt blue zebras. After three weeks I ordered from one line 4 Rusty's. 4 mangino's, 4 nkhata's and 4 Labeotropheus trewavasae. All are juvies as I have good luck with loading tanks when they are young. I have a 125 so I was prepared to move stock around or Re home. For a month all was going well then within 2 weeks I lost 2 manginos. 3 Labeotropheus trewavasae and 2 nakhatas. Any thoughts on what might be the cause.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Do you notice if all of the fish were eating?

And all of the fish that died were shipped from an online source?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first all were eating great. Then a few sat on the bottom and died pretty quick then a few more.
All that does were from an online store.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
How small were these juveniles? Under one inch including tail?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The fish you got shipped may have not been well, or handled the trip, as well as you thought. Since the other fish you got locally did okay I would assume that your water was at least okay, but the water could have been a factor with the more stressed out fish. Hard to tell.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
The only thing you describe that seems off is the large number of species and small number of each. Even though you have had success with it in the past, maybe not this time.

Seems odd that all would be well for the first month. That makes me think the fish shipped by the vendor were fine and something happened after arrival that took more than a month to develop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If they sat on the bottom it's probably disease. You can get disease for months or even years after adding a new fish, or it can develop in the tank itself, especially if overfeeding. If fish are acting weird or not eating I'd dose the whole tank with metro or antibiotics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I did my first dose of API cure and just over 24 hours and all are near the top and eating like there's no tomorrow.
Can one dose change things that fast?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts