Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm considering setting up a 46g bowfront African cichlid tank. As I'm new to African cichlids, I'd appreciate some tips and advice. I realize that a 46 Bow is not the optimal size for a cichlid tank, but I do not intend to go for a community setup.

I would like the tank to be a species-specific biotope - I'm considering either Johannis (a harem), Yellow Labs (wondering if a harem is necessary) or Pseudotropheus Acei (which seem to be fine as a group and low on aggression). For the substrate, I'll use aragonite sand. I'll probably employ a canister filter (probably rated for ~100g tank, I'm a firm believer in never having enough filtration). I'll likely use a pair of heaters.

For the decor, I have access to some well-sized granite stones from a nearby dismantled railroad (though I'd like to run some tests on these stones to confirm that they're granite). These will be placed on top of egg create to help distribute the weight. I'm also debating whether to find a nice large manzanita wood stump to offer additional hiding places (not exactly African, but I think it'll match the stark nature of the typical Mbuna cichlid tank).

How many fish will I be able to stock in this tank? I've heard that overstocking is better to cut down on aggression, but I'm purposely seeking more peaceful (relatively speaking) Mbunas so that this will not be an issue. The health and wellbeing of the fish is most important.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
From your list I'd choose yellow labs, maybe 1m:4f. Johannii and acei are better in a 75G rectangle.

I'd avoid rocks from railroad beds due to toxins showering down on them from the trains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DJ. I know that sexing tips are unreliable for Yellow Labs - is it typical that males have more black on the fins than females? I want to ensure that I get the right genders and I highly doubt I'd be any good at venting, haha. :)

Also, do you have any suggestions for any other Mbuna cichlids that might thrive in this size tank? I'm certainly prepared to nix the project if I'm unable to provide a solid tank design and compatible fish.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You could look at some of the less aggressive dwarf mbuna. Psuedotropheus Saulosi is always any easy recommendation since they have dimorphic genders both of which are very attractive and stay on the small and docile side.

You could also look at some of the Cynotilapia Afra species (i'm a big Jalo Reef fan!), they stay small but have plain females and stunning males

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm intrigued by the Saulosi - thanks for bringing them to my attention, 702. I'll do some research on them and see if I can find a reputable seller. :)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Often, if you buy larger fish, the reputable sellers will be able to provide you with proper ratios of m/f. Wish I had known this earlier!

·
Registered
410 Posts
bozistheboss said:
I'm intrigued by the Saulosi - thanks for bringing them to my attention, 702. I'll do some research on them and see if I can find a reputable seller. :)
pm sent

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
CichMomma said:
bozistheboss said:
pm sent
Thanks for playing by the rules, guys. It is very much appreciated. :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your tips and advice guys. I really appreciate it. :)

And I received the PM CichMomma, I'll check it out. Thanks you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts