Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make a quick update here, since this week marks (approximately) the one-year anniversary of my establishing my first cichlid aquarium (I now have two 55g and a 10g hospital/grow-out tank).

The process has been a very interesting, and gradually evolving one. My first 55g started off as a mix of Malawi and Tanganyika fish, including both haps and mbuna from Malawi. This was a result of a combination of lack of educating myself, ignoring the advice I had read, and a little bit of disinformation from LFS :) After a few months, I transitioned the tank to all mbuna Malawi - a decision I've been very happy with, because they've been great fun.

In July, I started my second 55g, which was also all mbuna, with a combination of transplants from the first tank, and some new purchases.

I enjoyed a little bit of fun breeding Zebras. It was fun observing the whole process, and I even tried out techniques such as venting and stripping. After a couple of rounds of that, I've ceased to separate holding females, and plan to keep things that way from here forward - in fact, the only reason I have one final batch of fry kicking around in my 10g tank is because a friend of mine who was "fish-sitting" decided that she wanted to "save the babies," and separated out a holding mom, against my specific instructions!

With about 20 fish in each tank, I typically have 2-3 females in each tank holding (right now, it's two yellow labs, a zebra, and a maingano)

Some of my younger male saulosi are just now starting to change color, which is exciting too.

I've learned so much from these forums, and want to thank all of you for sharing advice and your experiences.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Only one year to get a handle on things - you're a faster learner than me!

Most of what I have learned has come from this site or through people I heard of through this site. A great resource to be sure.

kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts