Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY FISH?

Was told it was an ice blue cichlid? Thought to be male.....but today he/she looks a little weird? And acting a little wierd?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
She's a female and she has a mouth full of eggs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow really you think so? OMG i am soooo excited and totally unexpected! SOOOOO now for the next question.....Who's that daddy????

I have a blue male (certain) socolofi, an albino red zebra (unsexed) and a M. Chopokea (male) almost sure on that one

ALso as far as acting wierd, "she" will not come out! Never have any of my fish used the extensive caves I have for them ever but today "she" wont come out...litterally took 45 min to get these pics only becuase I scared her out. "she" did eat though, but not like normal. Very minimal.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
She shouldn't have eaten anything. Did she actually eat? Or just sort of dart at the food and swim away?

Doesn't matter who the daddy is, since none of those fish are a male red-top zebra (which is what your female is) and the fry will be hybrids. Not to damper your excitement, but unless you plan on keeping all the offspring for their entire lives, you're best off letting her spit in the tank and allowing them to be eaten by the adults.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SO is my albino not the same thing? It's an albino red zebra? I looked in my tank a few ago and maybe not holding..or swallowed already? Mouth doesn't look the same? She did eat but it was pellets and she grabbed it and let it go real quick and swam back to her cave?

Also it's a juvinile I believe? a little over 2.5 inch?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's a female ice blue zebra (or red top zebra, very close), I had 2 (ice blue females) that looked almost just like it.

2.5" is plenty big to start breeding, but that one looks more like 3.5"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sickaqua said:
SO is my albino not the same thing? It's an albino red zebra? I looked in my tank a few ago and maybe not holding..or swallowed already? Mouth doesn't look the same? She did eat but it was pellets and she grabbed it and let it go real quick and swam back to her cave?

Also it's a juvinile I believe? a little over 2.5 inch?
If its an albino red zebra then no its not the same thing. There are a number of different species that carry the zebra name. Same genus different species.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys.....like I said her mouth doesnt look that puffy anymore. My husband thinks she just has a pellet shoved in there ( I did notice her at feeding time ) and he thinks I'm crazy. Will keep an eye on her I suppose, but probably going to let her spit in the tank because I am in the processo of overhauling my tank....thinking of going with just Pse. Solusi? What looks nice with those?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Not sure what it means to have a pellet shoved in her mouth??? If she's not eating normally but is eating something, then she's not likely to be holding. I'd guess she's got bloat myself . . .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the pellets are bigger than their mouths and when they bite at them they hold them in their mouths like out front and let go every now and again and chase the pellets. That is why he said she had one of those shoved in her mouth...which may be true because if she was holding, she is not now. But they say that first time females usually swallow eggs so? Also, if she did, how long will it be before she fills up again?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had 3 of 3 first time moms not swallow eggs. I stripped them late (ie, no wrigglers, all fry) and had 1 spit in the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts