Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so now I'm in panic mode.
For the past 2 yrs I've had what I assumed to be an all male, (55 gallon - 8 fish - each different species) mixed Mbuna & Hap tank.

Turns out my Yellow Lab is a she, not a he. She is holding eggs in her mouth.

I don't have the expertise or knowledge to set up nursery tanks, strip eggs, etc.

What can I immediately do in my existing tank to increase the odds of the fry surviving.

(Yes they will be hybrids, but they are for my own enjoyment and will never be sold or traded)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You could add more rocks, make more hiding spots, add piles of small rocks/pebbles, maybe even try some artificial plants. Even after doing all that there is still only a small chance they will survive. I've never had any fry survive in the last 3 years and have seen a dozen or more holding.

If you just noticed her holding it could take 4 weeks for her to spit.

If you want to keep them for sure then you could buy a 5g or 10g tank and set that up. There is nothing to it. Go buy a sponge filter and pump and run it on your main tank for the next 3 weeks (you could do the same with a HOB). Then transfer the yellow lab and sponge filter (or HOB) to the small tank. You could either strip her (really nothing to it) or wait it out for her to spit.

If that sounds like too much work then you could buy a breeder box or net. I've never used these but people have been successful with them. Only thing you would definitly have to strip for this option but you wouldnt have to set up another tank.

If it were me I take her out of the tank all together especially if my goal was an all male setup. If i had to keep her in there i would just let her spit and not worry about the fry surving.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good input - thanks.

Now that I have had time to go back to the library - I've reviewed the info on stripping, as well as breeder boxes, etc.

I think my best course of action is to keep her in the tank, let her spit, and see what happens.
Isn't this what they call "the circle of life"

Potentially raising 6-12 hybrids (that I can't/won't get rid of) in a 55 gallon that already has 8, 3" fish will create another whole set of problems in terms of capacity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just grab one of those $4 floating plastic "fry tanks". I keep 1 or 2 in each tank and theyre almost always in use. That way you dont have to worry about setting up tanks and ****.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Let her spit, if you want you can put in more rocks to improve their chances. They will likely get eaten, however i have been taking care of a pair of convicts which i put in my hap tank as a temporary home, they bred, and now i still have like 4 babies hiding in my rock wall which are just about 1 inch now or 3 months old. I was just getting ready to move the parents out when today i look and see 200 fry swimming in the corner. With my rock wall more will likely survive, i will net them when they are big enough and not hiding. No way my girl friend would forgive me if i moved them out now with all those babies. :?

This is with 10 Blue dolphins, 5 venestus, 4 taiwan reef, 4 big lip, 3 adult hap 44, 2 male peacocks, and 7 juvi green terrors growing out for a few more weeks for someone in the tank. So i guess its no longer mostly a hap tank. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts