Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the Enantiopus kilesa and callos that came in last Friday, I also got a some more wild Muzi gold head comps to go with the two I already have in hopes of getting them breeding as well as the calvus bcwp are breeding. I ended up bring in four more Muzi's (2m/2f). They are extremely shy right now. The big male is hidding out so he is not pictured yet (yet ;) ).

I don't plan on introducing my existing two Muzi's to this new group until about 30 days from now.

In any event, nothing fancy on the aquscaping. With winter as hard as it has been out my way, I haven't been hunting for any cool boulders to aquascape with; so, I made due with some older stuff for now (including some plants which I haven't used in a long time). They are in this 55 gallon tank (below). I used crushed coral #5 as the substrate as my LFS stores were all out of the arragonnite that I like.

They really like those large stripped fox shells (I need to get a few more).

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Good looking fish. Throw in some dithers and you are likely to see these fish out a great deal more. Small rainbows, such as Neon Dwarfs would be a great choice. You could do some leptosoma as an alternative.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fogelhund said:
Good looking fish. Throw in some dithers and you are likely to see these fish out a great deal more. Small rainbows, such as Neon Dwarfs would be a great choice. You could do some leptosoma as an alternative.
Thanks, not familiar with those "Small rainbows, such as Neon Dwarfs" do you have any links or the scientific name so I can look them up?

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Melanotaenia praecox - nice looking dither! Thank you.

All Muzi's came out and stayed out for their morning feed (even the big male). I expect them to continue to improve on their shyness as they learn to associate me with food.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I added my two existing Muzi's to the tank with the four new ones. This is my existing male. The new male is sooo dark - can't wait till I get good photos of him. I have not seen a Muzi (or other gold head) as dark as he is. Actually, upon previewing this post, I noticed that you can see him in the Fox shell in the background. He is literally that dark from head to toe except for his gold side flapper fins.

Altolamprologus compressiceps Muzi Gold Head

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I know a lot of people use Melanotaenia praecox as dithers in Lake Tang and smaller Central American tanks, but they are actually one of the few rainbows from softer, acidic waters. I would think one of the harder water rainbows might be a better fit. Just a thought. They might be adaptable enough. I'm assuming so given all the threads of people with them in hard water tanks.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dwarfpike said:
I know a lot of people use Melanotaenia praecox as dithers in Lake Tang and smaller Central American tanks, but they are actually one of the few rainbows from softer, acidic waters. I would think one of the harder water rainbows might be a better fit. Just a thought. They might be adaptable enough. I'm assuming so given all the threads of people with them in hard water tanks.
I am not a big fan of using dithers with wild fish. Just me (IMHO).

In time, the dark male will be out and about as much as the male in the photo above.

Russ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.