Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks at the momment i have 2 tanks both with black gravel, i am getting another this friday an aquastart 500(65l) and i was thinking of sand as a substrate for a change. reading through the forums there is a lot of mixed opinions on whats best.my main concern is when using the vac for cleaning will the sand not come up the hose along with the waste, also what is the best type to try and avoid this. cheers :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
make sure you don't drop it in after rinsing in cold water - could cause your tank temp to plummet. rinse in tank temperature water. turn off filters before adding, wait 5 mins, then turn back on. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
zimmy said:
Use pool filter sand or any sand that is identified as being #20 grit.
:thumb:

The only thing I would add with the cleaning is if you manually agitate the sand after if starts to run clean you will churn up quite a bit more really small stuff you don't want in your tank.

I churn/rinse the sand until it gets to the point that the water is completely clear after I stop churning and count to 3-1 thousand. If that makes sense.

The biggest advantage I find with sand is the waste stays on top and can easily be moved by UGJ or by siphoning just above the surface of the sand.

I believe you will really like it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did my switch to sand a while back, things I have noticed since doing so are:
-must get water flow just right to keep crud from piling up, but not so much as to dig into your sand
-need to get my hand in the tank and clean the algae from beneath the sand against the glass every week
-need to sift through the sand with my fingers every month or so to keep it from getting too nasty under there

It is definitely more work than the gravel was, but so totally worth it. It's not like it's backbreaking either. I probably spend a total of 15 more minutes a month on cleaning because of the sand, so no biggie. And like Goofbay said, waste that doesn't get picked up by the filter is generally piled up together. I've gotten my flow right to the point where I get one little pile that I can choose to vacuum up in all of 1 minute of work. Before getting the flow right I had many many piles in and under rocks, as well as in the back corners of the tank.

As far as vacuuming up sand, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if I'm doing a clumsy job when vacuuming my tank I only end up with a small bit of sand, and it's usually the really small dark particles anyway. If I were to vacuum every single day and made no effort to not pick up sand, it would take 10 years to be noticeable. Lol I may be exaggerating a bit but it's not far off. Point is you needn't worry about sucking up sand.

I'm sure you would love your sand, to each his own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys i think i will give sand a shot, its only a 65l tank so shouldnt be too much extra work and like you guys say its worth it. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts