Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of getting about 6 Pseudotropheus demasoni which are still quite young just under 1 inch.Would they be okay with my Labidochromis caeruleus and Neolamprologus brichardi's, which are about 1 inch.
I have a 260L Tank.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello daryis1.

What is the footprint of a 260 litre?

How many EYs (YLs) and brichardi do you have?

Depending on the tank dimensions and how many other fish I would say 6 isn't enough but I'll bow to better judgement :)

Also dems could be a bit "rough" on the brichardi IMO.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have read the experts say "Its either 1 or many" and by many they mean MANY like 15-18...

·
Registered
554 Posts
They are correct, with demasoni it's either one or more than twelve. The usual advice with demasoni is to start with 20 and fish out subdominant males until you have a happy group.
It's probably worth upping your caeruleus numbers as well, a group of five, one male to four females works pretty much always.
Those brichardi might get severely roughed up in the process of adding demasoni. They're tanganyikans, no? Maybe ask in the general african forum about the likelihood of success. Your tank is large, though, so maybe things will work out :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
wait, correction, your tank is not very large. That's four feet, and about 70 gallons. So maybe you should consider asking on the general forum about your mix of fishies.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another thing with Brichardi, if they get to breeding size and actually spawn they go ballistic! They are not mouthbrooders, they lay eggs on the substrate and they are fierce parents when guarding a clutch of eggs or newly hatched fry. They could make mince meat of your labs down the track.

Is your tank a custom made? A standard 4 footer is like 55 gallons (208 litres). Usually, but not always, 4 feet x 18 inches x 14 inches. Well in Australia anyway.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm not sure if I completely buy into the "one or many" rule. Only reason I say this is because I have had a much different experience.

I had about 20 demasoni in my tank at one time and then from an accident I lost almost all my fish. Only 3 dems survived. I ended up deciding against restocking with dems so I just left the 3 in there. They have been living in there happily for over 2 years now and not one problem at all.

Possibly I just got lucky.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Im sure there are some people who will experience no problems at all when only having a handful of Dem's, but I had started with about 8 of them and was always having problems with the most dominant one really ruffing up the others. They others were always fairly beat up and hiding up in the corners or behind heaters. Since I have upped the number to 16 and things seem to be going ALOT smoother. No longer have anyone hiding any longer and can really see how the aggression gets spread around more. Take it for whats its worth but that is just my experience with these little guys over the last couple months.

Think of it like playing the lottery, there is always that person who just gets a couple scratch-offs and wins, while the rest of use need to buy the entire roll for it to work out in our favor. :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
srook23 said:
I'm not sure if I completely buy into the "one or many" rule. Only reason I say this is because I have had a much different experience.

I had about 20 demasoni in my tank at one time and then from an accident I lost almost all my fish. Only 3 dems survived. I ended up deciding against restocking with dems so I just left the 3 in there. They have been living in there happily for over 2 years now and not one problem at all.

Possibly I just got lucky.
How many times have they spawned during this time???

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
daryls1 said:
Hi, I am thinking of getting about 6 Pseudotropheus demasoni which are still quite young just under 1 inch.Would they be okay with my Labidochromis caeruleus and Neolamprologus brichardi's, which are about 1 inch.
I have a 260L Tank.
The Brichardi will likely kill and/or terrorize everything else in the tank including non-pairing brichardi when they reach spawning age. I wouldn't recommend keeping them with labs or demasoni.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a friend who had 8 dems for 3 yrs no probs.Then 1 day he woke up and their was only the dominate male left,That s how fast it can turn from good to bad.My advise is if u dont have room to start with 20 dont try them.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
There is no question that the brichardi will attempt to take over the tank, shortly after their first spawn. When mixed with mbuna, the results are mixed, sometimes they take over, sometimes they lose out. Suffice to say, it isn't really a great mix.

My suggestion, is to get a 20 (80l) gallon tank, and put the brichardi in it.

Then purchase 15+ demasoni, mix with the Labs, and enjoy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.