Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding a group of 4 to 5 lucippinis catfish, does this number sound about right?

Current stock is as follows

5 red Zebra 1m 4f
5 Yellow Labs 1m 4f
8 Mainganos 2m 6f
5 white top hara 1m 4f (soon to come)

Also, how large do they get, I keep seeing different sizes ranging from 2" to 4"

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Planetcatfish says 3.9" which is about right given my 5-year-old fish. A group of 5 would be good.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up going with the Multipunctatus, my LFS had 2 3" regular price $49 each, they had a 65% off sale ending today so i got both for $19, not bad..

Is 5 still a good number with these since they are larger or 3 to 4?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Five is still good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but, why 5? I bought one. Do they not do well alone?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They like to be in groups.. all if them I've seen have been bunched up together

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man, I could get syndontis up here for probably $5, but they creep me out how they spawn...couldn't handle seeing little catfish crawlin around instead of cichlid babies lol.

Anyone have a better idea for a cleanup crew? I have a Polypterus Delhezi (dinosaur eel like you'd see in the stores, just a better version basically) but I don't think he'd be cut out for a cleanup crew. Was lookin for a little cluster to toss in there, just not catfish that creep me out lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I paid $20 for mine that is no more than 2" long.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
They hide if you have one and come out and play if you have many. If you don't like the parasite brooders, choose lucipinnis. They are egg scatterers.

There are other synodontis that are happier with one (and they do tend to hide)...just not multipunctatus, petricola or lucipinnis.

Bristlenose plecos will clean-up for you as well.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ha! You should be so lucky as to see little catfish swimming around instead of baby cichlids! At the prices they command, that would be a great thing.

I'd even say you could go to six in a 90 gallon. The more the merrier with multipunctatus and lucippinis. Great fish -- both of them! They do grow very slowly, too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These really are a great catfish, I guess i got pretty lucky to get some 3" ones for the price then if they grow slowly.. And actually the other one is probably closer to 3.5 " but they are extremely active, really add a lot to the tank..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do they actively try to "infect" broods in the aquarium? I guess that's the only way they can spawn...do dwarf petricola do any of this infecting broods? Think they'd be pretty fun if not. I have a 9" delhezi I want to put in with my cichlids when I get them though :( he might make them a snack.

Sucks that clown loaches get sooo big...would love to have some in there. Their colors would work perfectly.

Any kind of cories that would work? sorry if thread hijacking lol. Just kind of interested in getting a little trio or so of something to cruise the bottom of the tank. Maybe my delhezi will do...

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Cories are a no-no in African tanks.

Lucippinis aka dwarf petricola are not parasitic breeders. As for multipunctatus -- they have to be quite large and mature to breed. I had my group of four in with a male peacock/hap tank for several years that had a small group of yellow labs. One of the labs held successfully twice and to my disappointment, spit yellow labs both times. I think the situation has to be quite particular for you to get baby catfish . . .

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I'm lucky if I get one multipunctatus baby per year from my group. They are over 10 years old. But I get 100s of mbuna fry.

But no the lucipinnis do not try to infect the cichlids at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I'll hold off on'em for now, getting enough fish the way it is, should be plenty for me. maybe later I'll add'em in...unless they are really something else blow me away amazing awesome fun all over the place crazy fish, in which case I might get some lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd find it hard to belive that any Lucipinnis eggs could infect any mouth brooder.If any eggs end up in the mouth of a fish it would be for food.The eggs are some of the smallest eggs I have ever seen.Anyone who has ever bred them knows what I mean.I highly doubt any cichlid would confuse the eggs with it's own.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
unless they are really something else blow me away amazing awesome fun all over the place crazy fish
My Synodontis (I have multis) are kinda like this. They are more active than most of my mbuna.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kanorin said:
unless they are really something else blow me away amazing awesome fun all over the place crazy fish
My Synodontis (I have multis) are kinda like this. They are more active than most of my mbuna.
Agree, mine are all over the place.. I love how fast they cruise the bottom of the tank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts