Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Big Al's the other day and saw some (for reptiles) magnetic shelves and am considering perhaps making some out of Styrofoam and concrete or hollowed out rocks. anyone ever try anything like this?

They look like this: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Reptiles_Hab ... tc=default

and have two round magnets at the back, the principle is similar to that of magnetic glass cleaners.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like 'em. Doesn't mention about suitability for submersion in water full time 'tho. Very interesting idea, with many possible uses and placements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hence why I'd make my own. Hollow out a rock, or make something out of foam and concrete, or I could probably do something with some slate and silicon too.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
AlainVirgin
I've done it, liked it, and plan to do it again. I have two extra magnets from some koralia pumps, but my hang up is my skills with concrete are lacking :oops: All I ever make is ugly lumps... and once made them too large and heavy so they tended to get knocked off the wall by my algae cleaner.

I'm debating drilling a hole in some dried out reef rock I have. It's light weight enough I expect. Some epoxy putty might hold the rock to the magnet...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Yeah, it will not work with Styrofoam, unless you have super defying physics magnets. It would work with practically anything else that is not extremely buoyant like Styrofoam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts