Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went and got my Afra Jalo Reefs today. Got home and acclimated them and when I was netting them out of this big bowl to place them in my tank one decided to jump out of the bowl and hit the floor. Fell about 5 feet, but landed on carpeting.

I know I am not the only one who has had this happen to them so I am wondering if they generally are ok after something like that or will that kind of shock end up being the end of them?

Thanks for your input, and am just kinda wondering how worried I should be about losing her?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Fish get shipped in containers and suffer worse drops/jolts than that I am sure.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
They are generally OK. Just wet your hands before you pick them up.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I have been watching her and she is hiding but seems to be swimming fine.

Also the Dominant Male is already coloring up and is looking very nice! :thumb: Just seems to flare up his color for a couple minutes then is right back to a lighter shade in seconds. Kinda cool how fast he can turn it on and off. I read in another post about White top hara's that this normal and common so I am assuming that it is the same for the Jalos as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My one female yellow lab landed on the carpet too. In my rush to get her in water again, I plonked her in the tank in stead of in the hospital tank, and then proceeded to fret about the others killing a poor injured fish. She's still happy, alive and well several weeks later, with no marked change to her in any way (except that I hope she learnt her lesson and won't make a leap of faith again - silly fish). I would think that internal injuries might crop up, as your main worry. Other than that, it should be fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've had plenty of jumpers, mainly bc I could never afford/find a proper lid. It's the cichlid way. Mine have always bounced back. I swear I had one that thought it was a daily afternoon activity. :roll: He was actually a sub-dom male, who was getting picked on (had to eventually remove him); he then stopped doing it finally.

Tell you what, nearly had a heart attack every time.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I once had a SnakeHead when I was 17 years old.
& my Mom called me at work to tell me that the snakehead jumped out the tank and is all dried up.
I told her....just throw him back in the tank.
the Snakehead came back to life.
he had fungus all over him for a couple months, but he survied
:lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jordanroda said:
I once had a SnakeHead when I was 17 years old.
& my Mom called me at work to tell me that the snakehead jumped out the tank and is all dried up.
I told her....just throw him back in the tank.
the Snakehead came back to life.
he had fungus all over him for a couple months, but he survied
:lol:
LOL Poor guy, well mine was no where near anything like that! But she has been in the tank now for a week and still is doing just fine. She is the smallest of the group I got and hides alot, but is always towards the front of the feeding line so I am assuming she is OK for now at least.

Toume: Your right about the heart attack too. I was like :eek: :eek: then I couldnt seem to pick her up cause she was flopping all over the place!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It'll probably be fine.

I had a tropheus jump out of a tank and hit the hardwood floors 5' below. My dog saw it, ran over and grabbed it in his mouth and decided to chew on it a little. My wife saw the dog acting weird so she went over and opened his mouth. Once she saw the fish in his mouth she wrestled it from him and put it back in the tank. The poor thing looked terrible...ripped fins, scales missing and dents all over him. After about 24 hours of hiding he went back to being the dominate male and chasing anyone that came near his rock pile.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
xxbenjamminxx
Glad to hear you're fish is alright!

Hey, when I was a child, we had a fish leap out of a tank and into a bowl of popcorn! My sister and I were the cause of that (remember the little girl from "Finding Nemo") so we quickly scooped him up and put him back in the tank. My parents never found out about it and even after the 'accident', that fish lived a long life! LOL! :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Had a fish jump out during feeding time and bounce off the wall it flew so far at the right angle scared me to death but was fine after few hours of hiding, it didn't eat as aggressivly after that lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
one of my red zebra did it to me, I was moving all my zebras to a new tank, she jumped landed on the carpet :eek: in the rush I picked her up and put her in the tank forgeting to let her acclimate to the new tank, its been months since that now, and she is doing just fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts