Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....... here it is

55 gallon tank.....32 ps. soulusi

How many should I put in there and how many males/females?

Will be about 1.25 inches when added

Would you put any other species in there or just soulusi?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
7:25

Not sure 32 is a good number (sounds high), but I'll defer to someone else.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Youre never going to be able to manage the m:f ratio if you buy juvies. On the other hand, it will be next to impossible to find 7 adult males and 25 adult females. The price would be ridiculous if you could, but I'm willing to bet your chances are slim. You can't vent juvies so you would most likely just buy 32 juvies and run with what you got. Not sure how big soulusi get, but 32 seems high to me as well. I wouldn't push 20 with a 55.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok wonderful advice .... I may be going the wrong way but this is what I was thinking...I can get my hands on 32 juvy soulusi, some already colored up I believe. I was going to get 32, since they are small at the time and eventually weed out all but like 5 males and 15 females. Over time of course once I start being able to tell how many male/females are in there. I thought that would be better then just buying like 10 in a 55gal. and if some die may be left with 7 and then all be males have to start over, find some females and so on so on...get what I mean? Is that bad thinkiong?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Most of the suggestions I have gotten average 12-15 in a 55 gallon tank. That may be different in a single species tank. I am pretty sure I'm gonna do a similar set up. I would love to see pics one you are set up.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you're getting juvies and have somewhere to re-home extra males, I'd stock 20-25, pull extra males as they color up (the ones that do) and hopefully end up around 3m:12f - 4m:16.
Some sub-dominant males will retain female coloring making it difficult to pull extra males, look for the ones hiding behind filter intakes/heaters, or the ones that get chased harder than the others. You're not likely to see any of this until they begin maturing.
What filter(s) will you be using? 55g-48x13?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
rmiller said:
Most of the suggestions I have gotten average 12-15 in a 55 gallon tank. That may be different in a single species tank. I am pretty sure I'm gonna do a similar set up. I would love to see pics one you are set up.
Saulosi are dwarf, take up less room.

The 12-15 is for regular mbuna.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 2 filter that hang of the back, to be honest, I am completly stupid when it comes to filters and lights and things like that :oops:

Will let you all know how it goes, thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok...I went and looked, boy that was hard =D>

I didn't know it said what they were right on there sorry for being sarcastic lol

I have a penguin bio-wheel 350 and the other just says aquatech but I know it is bigger that the 5-15gallon size filter so the next size up from that I would say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts