Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I posted this a little while ago, but didn't really get much response. Maybe you could help?

120 Gallons
-1 Tiger Oscar
-1 Senegal Bichir
-1 Geophagus Surinamensis
-1 Green Severum

All Juvis, what else do you think I could add?? Or am I fully stocked? I don't really think it is that stocked, but I need a knowledgable opinion. Thanks! If you get this... :/

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think the geophagus would feel threatened by the oscar when the oscar gets bigger and hide a lot. Is the 120 a 6, 5, or 4 foot tank?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Dude... Putting my name in your title might not get you a rescponse.... OK, it will... :lol:

I would get about three or four more geophagus then call it done...

Seeing as they're all juvis Im supremely confident the oscar will be just fine with the geos. But geos like to be in groups...

Not the most ideal situation but I once kept a fully grown fully mature four year old oscar with angels in a 55... I'm not telling anyone to go out and do it but I knew my fish, I knew she would be just fine.

Will smaller cichlids feel threatened by larger cichlids? Yes, 8 days a week. But feeling threatened is a part of cichlid life in a cichlid community. It's how the cichlid reacts when it feels threatened is key. Will it fight or will it flight? My guess would be at first the geos will flight... untill they realize oscars have more bark than bite.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have a much different situation now :p so I will post tomorrow, but on one of your topics. Ha this is crazy. I love my fish

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Good call TFG, sorry if my responses aren't the best, still trying to learn as much as possible, as it's my 2nd year in the hobby :oops:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a little Jack Dempsey in the tank. I can post a vid later explaining, but I pretty much though my Oscar ate it! Either way, here is my new stocking:

-1 Oscar
-1 Jack Dempsey
-1 Bichir
-4/5 Silver Dollars

And then I am not sure what else? I got that large of a tank to hold more fish, so I know I am not at my limit. I just don't know what to put in there now :/

I think any other cichlids would cause trouble. Except severums or Geophags, but they would get attacked alot, so non of them :/ pacu and plecos get too big :/ so. I really don't know! :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I thought since they were a pretty mild (on cichlid terms) an Oscar or. Jack Dempsey might be more aggressive towards them. I heard severums can stand their own, but I wasn't too sure

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahh, well you got me to get a severum. I heard they get so beautiful when they grow, and I had only seen Juveniles. I looked up the adults, and these are beautiful fish!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Where do you get your fish?!?!? The only fish I can get around here are from a very limited LFS, or Petsmart/Petco :?

You are awesome fish guy! thanks! :thumb: :lol:

Btw, how many GPH do you think my tank will need? (I haven't even bought the tank yet, and when I do, I will be broke) so, the only filters I could give it at the moment would be:

Aqua Tech HOB-150 GPH
Fluval U2-105 GPH
Tetra Whisper ex 30- 340 GPH
Tetra Whipser 20- 125 GPH

Total: 720 GPH. I heard Oscar Tanks need around 10x as much GPH than the number of Gallons. So is that true?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Ten times seems a bit excessive to me. Not sure where the fish would get a break from all the current! LOL

Honestly I've never subscribed to "standards" as far as filtration was concerned. All of my tanks besides the big three are run with air driven sponge filters. The 1200, 240 and 185 all have sumps. The 1200 cycles three times an hour, the 240 also three times. Not sure what the 185 does...The 1200 has an automatic water changer in the form of a "drip" if you will and the other tanks get 1/3 changes a week. Been doing it that way for years with zero issues.

As for where do I get my cichlids from.... I belong to the Ohio Cichlid Association and am a board member of the club also. We have a lot of members and we don't keep firemouths, jd's and convicts... Well, I do, LOL Point is, join a club if you want to get fish and supplies really really cheap. I haven't got fish from a store in years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I guess the filters are all a little small, so the current wouldn't be too bad. Well, does my filtration system sound ok? All those little filters added up? I guess I could mix around all the filters, and move my Penguin 350 to the tank, and put some small filters in a 55 gallon. hmm I have a lot of options!

And ya? I have never ordered my fish online :/ Since I'm only 17, and don't have a debit card or credit card, my parents wont do it for me. ahhh just 1 more year. I can't find any fish clubs out in Colorado (Springs). :? sad day

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a little video of me explaining the whole situation:

Sorry for the sloppy camera man work :/

But in case you didn't understand me (and my mumble-ish self), I saw this tiny Jack Dempsey in a tank full of Firemouths at Petsmart. It was getting beat up like none-other! I told the lady working there, that it was in the wrong tank, and she was like, "I know how to do my job" or something like that. So I said, "Your Firemouths are $3.50 and your Jack Dempsey are almost $5.00. If that Jack Dempsey is a 'Firemouth', then I only pay $3.50" So that's what happened! I rescued the little .5" JD from all the aggressive Firemouths, and I got a deal on it! Good deal. So I brought it home later, and let it acclimate. My Oscar is SOOOOO shy, that I thought he would not eat it. When I took him outta the bag, it swam up to the Oscar, and the Oscar was a little curious. I kept checking on them every 15 minutes, and it seemed like there was a little aggression between the two. Later on, I was working on the computer, and I saw a flash and heard "GULP". I looked all around the tank, and couldn't find my JD. I thought my Oscar had eaten him :( I live between two houses, so I left for a few days. I left the lights off (since they get a little natural lighting) and my dad fed them. I came back about 4 days later, and when I turned the light on, I saw him!! :dancing:

That's how I 'found' him. If you read that; thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ya, and I've been researching at least 2 hours a day for the past month and a half. That's no exaggeration. I am usually up till 12 or 1 on school nights just researching possible tank mates for the tank :p

So I DO research haha

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Sounds like you are learning "on the fly" which seems to be working.

I will repeat what TFG preaches. Buy the tank and then the fish.

You have a decent size tank now (55?) and the current fish are fine for a while. I would not add more till you get a bigger tank.

If you are considering a 120, I would start looking on Craigslist now. Get an idea of how much you will need to save up. You may be lucky enough to get a complete setup complete with proper filter. Dont forget search CL under "aquarium" and "fish tank".

Also as stated, check out you local fish/cichlid club to see what is for sale there.

GL....Bill

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already have the 125 :p

Thanks though. Ehh not on the fly either. I spend at least 2 hours a day coming up with possible stocking plans. Right now I have my baby JD and a juvenile Oscar. No matter what setup I choose, it will have Silver Dollars as dither fish (6 of them).

I may add another Oscar, and call it good there, even though that is a lot.

Also, maybe add a Convict or Severum and a Peacock Eel (or Senegal Bichir).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts