Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally stocked my tank, a tank largely built on the advice and tips gained from people on this forum. Click the link at the end of this post to see it, sorry the video is quite long but please stick with it these beautiful fish are well worth it.

I have no doubt some eyebrows will be raised at the eclectic mix of species I have chosen, you will find Mbuna's (Demosani, Hongi's, Zebra's etc), Aulonacara's (Peacocks) and a couple of Haps. Also there is a a beautiful Scarlet and Snowball Pleco and 2 Multipunctatus.

I know what you are thinking but this is a very peaceful tank, other than the 2 Multip's squabbling I have witnessed no aggression at all, maybe this is due to the sheer amount of ocean rock creating caves and hideouts but even the Snowball Pleco grazes on the crushed coral subtrate and sucks on the glass and is left well alone. I think the fish are way too clever to have a go at the Scarlet Pleco.

As ever, I would encourage you to leave a comment, all are welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nice set-up & all the best...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Congrats on building a nice setup. Your tank is an example of what I like to see people do. There are so many who don't dare step outside the standards set by other people. Over time, there may be some trouble as the fish get more age but for the moment, you have a tank that you can really enjoy. Anybody that thinks they can set up a tank and never worry about the fish changing over time is just not thinking too deep. Any tank bares watching for things that could go wrong. So I fully agree with your stocking ----if it pleases you. Just keep a watchful eye on things as any tank requires and then settle back and ENJOY!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great tank! Enjoy your fish.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very nice set up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback.

@ PfunMo - We will have to see over time how, if at all, the behavioural pattern of the different species changes. There is most definitely a dominant fish, the Hongi Red Top (I think that's what it is) but he does not dish it out too much just enough to let the others know whose boss.

I am worried about keeping the subtrate clean, I can only access about 30% of the crushed coral for vacuuming purposed and I know there are areas where the fish swim and rest which I simply cannot gain access to due to the sheer amount of ocean rock. After a water change when I am pouring the water back in I direct the flow into these areas in the hope it will mix it up and dislodge some of it which will then be collected by the filter but I know in time there will be a significant build up of waste in these areas. I do not want to move the rock to clean the areas I cannot reach as it took me literally hours to get right the balance of caves, safety and keeping it as aesthetically pleasing as I could, the thought of moving it with 30+ fish in it does not bare thinking about.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How long as the tank been up?

The "Hongi" kinda looks like a Greshakei, but I'm not sure - the nose/forehead slope seems different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Glaneon - I think you may be right I have been looking into it and he does seem more like a Greshakei than a Hongi.

I am now delighted to announce that I am in a position to supply you with two very scientific facts about a Greshakei Cichlid:

1) They can be evil
2) They really poo a lot

Your welcome.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
monster1000s said:
@ Glaneon - I think you may be right I have been looking into it and he does seem more like a Greshakei than a Hongi.

I am now delighted to announce that I am in a position to supply you with two very scientific facts about a Greshakei Cichlid:

1) They can be evil
2) They really poo a lot

Your welcome.
LMAO! Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
tank looks good, you certainly have some great specimens of the various species which is always nice. The rockwork will certainly make things a little easier for having such an integrated tank.

Just be wary as the aulonocaras and haps mature, their behavior and size will change dramatically and probably require some decision making down the line.

Looks like the fish have plenty of potential. best of luck

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, my dominant [in entire tank] Greshakei male takes up the left 2 FEET of my 125 gallon tank.

He sure is pretty though (he's my avatar pic) :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Great looking fish! Great looking tank too!

I have a setup similar to yours, in the sense that alot of substrate is covered by rocks. I do what your doing, spray underneath them, and I also every few months take the rocks out (I end up needing to anyway to strip holding females), and do an 80% or so water change, cleaning the gravel the entire time. I haven't ever noticed any substantial nitrate spikes or anything like that. Occasionally, if I have gone a couple of months without doing that, I noticed very mild increases, which is corrected by more frequent water changes (I do 75% once a week), until I have the couple of hours it takes to break down and clean the tank.

One thing to mention (even though I'm sure you know this if you've been reading these forums). Resist the urge to clean your rocks when you do this. There is alot of beneficial bacteria on them, you'll be sucking out alot of good bugs when you clean the substrate (though there should be plenty in the filter itself), and there isn't a need to clean the rocks. Algae on the rocks (most species) aren't detrimental to your tank, and if you don't like the look you can scrub it off. If there is by some chance some piled up excrement, you can use tank water and flush that out!

-John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice, I know some decisions will have to be made at some stage as the different species grow and mature but at the moment I'm going sit back with a nice glass of red and enjoy them.

Thanks for all the comments guys, as the title of this thread suggests this really is the tank this forum built and I am delighted with the results.

Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts