Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with adding a canister to my sump for my 75 gallon and I finally did it.

As of right now it is just a standard 20-30 gallon Pro Clear sump with an overflow box, two sponges, and bioballs. There's a 300 watt heater, a 900 gph pump, and UV sterilizer. Then I just have a Fluval 204 loaded with progressively smaller sponges filtering the sump water.

In the next few weeks my hope is to feed the outlet of the 204 to a planting tray loaded with St. Augustine or Bentgrass as I've read they are two of the highest nitrate consuming grasses. Then light the sump with a 24" grow light. I am not planning on stopping my weekly 15 gallon WC's, however, I am interested to see if the nitrate and overall water consumption of the grass would allow me to change out 5-10 gallons and then top off a fresh 5 to account for evaporation and what the plants take.

Let me know what you guys (and girls) think!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of using a canister with the sump. Mechanical filtration?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mechanical and biological. Also it will allow me to water the planting tray when it goes in. But right now it is an experiment of how hard/reliable the 204 will run without gravity (surprisingly well actually, a pain to start, but no hiccups once it was started).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts