Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 4 ghost shrimp on Monday. I had 1 in the tank already. Thursday night when I checked on the tank they were all fine. Friday morning all 4 dead, but the original one was still kickin. I had been treating the tank with a low dose (1/4 cap) of Maracyn Oxy because one of my baby angels had fin rot (all gone now), I treated Tues and Wed. That particular med doesn't require you to remove activated carbon. Also I fed the fish in that tank some frozen brine shrimp Thurs night. The levels are fine, I checked Thurs night. Ammonia was 0, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20ppm (before water change). Temp is at a steady 78. Tank dwellers are panda cories, otto cats, 2 scissortails and 2 tiny angel fish (there's a snail somewhere in there too that hitched a ride on my water-sprite lol). Any theories on the culprit???

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I would say its the meds. a quick google suggests they are a form of stabilized chlorine. and there are a few things regarding shrimp as well. > the other fish might not have been effected because of the higher biomass : reactant ratio, though I'd imagine adding chlorine would stress them slightly.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
I would say its the meds. a quick google suggests they are a form of stabilized chlorine. and there are a few things regarding shrimp as well. > the other fish might not have been effected because of the higher biomass : reactant ratio, though I'd imagine adding chlorine would stress them slightly.
that's what I thought, but isnt it funny how the 5th is still alive? That's what gets me, maybe weak stock?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
lil_gold_ram said:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
that's what I thought, but isnt it funny how the 5th is still alive? That's what gets me, maybe weak stock?
could be a number of reasons, different size, genetic predisposition, etc.

if you think about when you go for anesthesia they ask you to not eat beforehand to minimize other factors effecting it. so it might be that the survivor was the pre-existing one who had a full belly and the others didn't....

for future reference, might want to use melafix/pimafix, as they are invert friendly and very effective IME

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
lil_gold_ram said:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn said:
could be a number of reasons, different size, genetic predisposition, etc.

if you think about when you go for anesthesia they ask you to not eat beforehand to minimize other factors effecting it. so it might be that the survivor was the pre-existing one who had a full belly and the others didn't....

for future reference, might want to use melafix/pimafix, as they are invert friendly and very effective IME
I tried mela/pimafix before and lost fish while waiting for them to work :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.