Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT IS THE MEANEST CICHLID OUT THERE? JUST WONDERING! I VOTE JAG!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
hemichromis elongatus.. i had one and it killed 2 firemouths and almost killed one red devil

·
Registered
42 Posts
roman_back said:
hemichromis elongatus.. i had one and it killed 2 firemouths and almost killed one red devil
The elongatus (5-Spot Jewel) you speak of, I owned one too and it was a beast. Definitely one of the meanest on a pound-for-pound scale. But it was no match for the Hornet Cichlid (2" larger) that shared the tank. The Jewel stayed as far away from the Hornet, who beat him down, forcing me to turn the Jewel of to the fish store.

That said, I vote Hornet!

·
Registered
42 Posts
But the meanest fish I've ever seen was not one that I owned, but someone I new. And it was a Managuense. Now I've owned several Managuenses before and they were semi-aggressive. But this one was absolutely INSANE!!

It lived in a 55 ga by itself. And this thing was biting at the glass and flaring the minute you walked in the room (20 ft away). I tried to scare it by looking down on it though the glass hood, and it jumped up and smashed into the hood. Scared the living **** out of me! I have never til this day seen any fish as mean as this one. Possessed I think.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes the 5-jewl was too mean for me i gave him to a friend that gave him to a friend that eventually flushed it down the toilet :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Some flowerhorns can be very mean especilly tward the owners and couple tha twith large size.

But you know if your talking just badass I vote convict. They are one of the few fish that when mating seem to make just about anything even near it's size cower.

imagine a convict at 14inches? What would you consider more mean then that so pound for pound they are bad.

Steven

p.s plus they are really good at breeding for thier hordes to take over the world! Long live the convict army!

·
Registered
69 Posts
aquariumjunky said:
imagine a convict at 14inches? What would you consider more mean then that so pound for pound they are bad.
A 14" convict?
... Unless it's on steriods...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was just putting thier "meaness" into a context where they might compete with a jaguar or other larger cichlid. Although they are not large for thier size I think they can be pretty dam mean to tank mates and imagine what they might do to something like a jaguar if they were the same size?

Steven

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having mean aggressive fish is great..but its better to figure out ways to control them and make it work...a tank full of dead mutilated fish is sort of pointless..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have too agree with BIGFISH.
If you have a extra very large tank laying around you might try to grow out a Nandopis Beani,
not an easy task,they need perfect water conditions or they will bloat.If you do suceed in growing one do not try to house anything with it,I have heard horror stories about what this fish can do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would normally suggest a butti or a jag, (pound for pound- convict), but i bought 10 tiger barbs as dithers a while back and i'm now down to one, really mean/nasty one, thats taken out all the others. Can't argue with that!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Why do the topics always get turned around to "people are not taking care of their fish". The way I read the question is "In your opinion , what is the meanest fish" nothing was said about sticking a bunch of full grown cichlids in a tank and placing bets!! :-?

Still going with the Red Devil :thumb:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have had convicts kill JDs before. Just because they are not 14", does not mean they cannot kill a 14" fish. A breeding pair of convicts is likely to try and kill anything in the tank. I have not owned a red devil, but have had many Jags and JDs housed with convicts. With that said, my opinion is convicts can be the meanest, heartless fish.

Cole~

·
Registered
262 Posts
alot of fish can be very ornry if not housed in the proper setting, then of coarse sometimes you get that one fish that has big attitude and wants to try everyone. im almost scared to mix anything with my buttikoferi, he is currently housed with only a p. niger who is 15 inches and bulletproof. also my butti is a solid 15 inches.

·
Registered
234 Posts
aquariumjunky said:
Pound for pound - has to be Neets. I've kept them with convicts, which are roughly the same size, and the Neets always dominated. In fact they dominated everything, big or small. Best kept in their own tank, or a very big tank, IME.

·
Registered
52 Posts
red devils are crazy when i first got mine i bought three he killed the other two anything i put in there even common plecos he killed hes calmed down now but if you piss him off hee will tear you up *** bled several time cause of him convicts,jags wouldnt stand a chance a true devil,homicidal maniacs believe it :p

1 - 20 of 181 Posts