Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Fluval 205 about 3 weeks ago to replace the AC70 running on my 29g tank. I got the canister specifically because I wanted something as close to silent as possible... I'm pretty anal about noise and the AC70 was bugging me. Its a lightly stocked, planted 29 so its probably overkill on the filtration.

It makes a pretty contant hum, sort of like when a refrigerator compressor is running but all the time. its not really that much quieter than the AC70, which wasn't really super loud to begin with. I don't think there's air in the lines, and the hoses are running pretty straight.

Is this normal? I'm wondering if I should try to fix this or just dump it for an Eheim 2213. I do like the media baskets a lot, and I don't really feel like returning a working filter.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a Fluval 405, AC50, and AC110 currently running all in the same room.

The 405 does have a very slight hum to it. The AC50 motor noise is a bit louder to me than the Fluval 405. My AC110 takes the cake though. I can hear the motor noise from that 30 feet away.

The 405 I have is definitely quieter than a refrigerator. Perhaps you still have some air in the lines? I tip my 405 side to side and back and forth to wiggle out every last bit of air in the lines and canister. It usually burps up quite a bit (this is even after I prime it) but after that it runs very quiet.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have the 405 and cant even hear it running, even when I have the cabinet open where it is sitting. I did put it on an old mouse pad to ensure no vibrations. And as said before a couple times it did seem to be "louder" and after tipping it side to side and numerous sprays of bubble came out it shut right up. Surprising how much air can come out of there even after it has been running for awhile.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Like RGR said, it's probably vibration on your tank stand.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. its actually standing on a block of styrofoam on the floor; the tank is on an open metal stand. I also shortened the hoses as much as possible and made sure to purge all the air from it, yet it still makes enough noise to bother me... about on par with the old HOB. I think its heading back to where it came from and I'll just get an Eheim Classic... I was only worried about the priming issues but I may have to tackle them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sounds like you got an impeller issue. I have 2 Fluvals in that series (305 & 404) and no hum/issues. I have an FX5 and if everything else is quiet, I can heart it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts