Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could certainly make the move with your fish if you are motivated enough to do it. Cichlids are pretty hardy fish when it comes to water parameter changes (temperature, etc). Get yourself a few plastic bins with lids and put the fish in them. Change some of the water when you stop for gas. I would use Stress Guard or something similar in the water as well. You'll need a way to keep the water somewhat warm (like at least 72F) during the trip. So either keep them in the car with you and keep the car warm or get some of those hand warmers. I'm sure they would make it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
DJRansome said:
The problem isn't so much the trip, it's that you have no place for a tank at your designation.
She said she is bringing her tank with her. It did sound like there wasn't much space for it but she said she's bringing it.

At this time of year the trip can be a problem. She has 20 cichlids and it sounds like they are fully grown. Thats going to require a pretty serious commitment to move them. I'd say at least a few different containers and enough space INSIDE the car to keep them. At this time of year I'm not sure I would risk keeping them in a trunk or back of a truck unless they were in styrofoam with heaters.

And btw, to the OP: yes, I would say its a little weird that you love all your fish as much as your horse. :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
You wouldn't need that many hand warmers if you put the fish in styrofoam coolers. It sounds like you probably won't have enough space inside the truck so if you really want to do it the best (and cheapest) way to do it would be to do it the same way fish are shipped. Put each individual fish in a bag with water + Stress guard, put all the bags inside a large styrofoam cooler (you can get big ones at Walmart for less than 10 bucks), and then put 3 or 4 hand warmers inside the cooler with the bags. They would be fine for one day like that. But like I said it takes a commitment and significant time to do it. And obviously you would need somewhere to put them as soon as you got where you were going.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.