Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 75 gallon AC tank now for some time. I have grown to love each and every individual fish as if they were a cat or dog (I'm neither a cat or dog woman) but I am a horse woman and I love my Mbuna as much as my horse. Is that weird? Each one has its individual personality. They recognize me. I have a pretty peaceful tank with about 15-20 most are Acei, yellow labs, socolofi, a Johanni (very shy) 2 male Aurutus and one has turned back to yellow and a beautiful white pearl with red eyes and orange fins (not sure species). My husband has his 180 gallon up for sale due to us moving out of state. He is re-homing his fish unless the buyer wants them he can have them. Community with my 4 big Angels. I'm taking my tank but he says I should re-home my cichlids because they may not make the transport. I wouldn't even know how to transport them. If I didn't take them I would do a community because it would be heart wrenching to replace them with new AC's.

Anyone ever move and how did you do it? We may move and not even have a house but a friend already said we can stay in his tiny apartment over his barn. It will only be adult daughter and I. Kind of exciting and scary while he is in MO getting his CDL. We are selling anything we don't need. CA to ID. Big change.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could certainly make the move with your fish if you are motivated enough to do it. Cichlids are pretty hardy fish when it comes to water parameter changes (temperature, etc). Get yourself a few plastic bins with lids and put the fish in them. Change some of the water when you stop for gas. I would use Stress Guard or something similar in the water as well. You'll need a way to keep the water somewhat warm (like at least 72F) during the trip. So either keep them in the car with you and keep the car warm or get some of those hand warmers. I'm sure they would make it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
DJRansome said:
The problem isn't so much the trip, it's that you have no place for a tank at your designation.
She said she is bringing her tank with her. It did sound like there wasn't much space for it but she said she's bringing it.

At this time of year the trip can be a problem. She has 20 cichlids and it sounds like they are fully grown. Thats going to require a pretty serious commitment to move them. I'd say at least a few different containers and enough space INSIDE the car to keep them. At this time of year I'm not sure I would risk keeping them in a trunk or back of a truck unless they were in styrofoam with heaters.

And btw, to the OP: yes, I would say its a little weird that you love all your fish as much as your horse. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gillmanjr said:
You could certainly make the move with your fish if you are motivated enough to do it. Cichlids are pretty hardy fish when it comes to water parameter changes (temperature, etc). Get yourself a few plastic bins with lids and put the fish in them. Change some of the water when you stop for gas. I would use Stress Guard or something similar in the water as well. You'll need a way to keep the water somewhat warm (like at least 72F) during the trip. So either keep them in the car with you and keep the car warm or get some of those hand warmers. I'm sure they would make it.
Hand warmers....good idea but I need a whole lot.

I am motivated but my family seems to not be as motivated. They say I'll lose them.

gillmanjr said:
DJRansome said:
The problem isn't so much the trip, it's that you have no place for a tank at your designation.
She said she is bringing her tank with her. It did sound like there wasn't much space for it but she said she's bringing it.

At this time of year the trip can be a problem. She has 20 cichlids and it sounds like they are fully grown. Thats going to require a pretty serious commitment to move them. I'd say at least a few different containers and enough space INSIDE the car to keep them. At this time of year I'm not sure I would risk keeping them in a trunk or back of a truck unless they were in styrofoam with heaters.

And btw, to the OP: yes, I would say its a little weird that you love all your fish as much as your horse. :D
Yes, I'd be taking it not knowing if I'd be putting up yet or if I did in that small area...have to completely take it all down again and move it again.

Yeah I think it's weird to....about the horset o. :D

joselepiu said:
imo...
i guess she needs (the OP), heaters, air pumps and be able to do mini water changes during the trip...
Now we're talking spending money. :lol:

So let me describe the situation a little bit more. That will clarify everything better to understand.

No husband to help at all. The last things to be taken will be all the animals (nightmare). Remember it'a just 24 year old daughter and me, 52 and have RA. So my body is strong but gets fatigued easy.The household will be shipped via pods. PLUS I will be in charge of selling the house, buying the new house and moving it all. I will be driving a Dodge Dually 3500 with the Lance (1191) the huge one on plus towing a 3 horse trailer. It's a 22 hour drive to ID and we will be sleeping at night so driving a lot. In the camper will be 3 dogs and 2 cats.

That in itself is a huge thing for me.

I cleaned my tank last night and was very emotional. I actually know I should not take them. I can restart AC there, possibly all same breed AC tank or a community. But moving may be too much stress

as far as practicality, I should re-home I think when we do leave.

If I do that maybe yellow labs and acei? leave it maybe just those two species. I just love their cute personalities.

It's going to be a nightmare move.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It sounds like the move will be pretty stressful as it is, if you have any thoughts of getting another tank or going with a bigger one maybe you could use the transition to be on the lookout for deals and plan your perfect setup for your final move to the permanent home?

Definitely stinks to have to give up the current fish (I believe we got into Africans at the same time last year).

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
404 Posts
You wouldn't need that many hand warmers if you put the fish in styrofoam coolers. It sounds like you probably won't have enough space inside the truck so if you really want to do it the best (and cheapest) way to do it would be to do it the same way fish are shipped. Put each individual fish in a bag with water + Stress guard, put all the bags inside a large styrofoam cooler (you can get big ones at Walmart for less than 10 bucks), and then put 3 or 4 hand warmers inside the cooler with the bags. They would be fine for one day like that. But like I said it takes a commitment and significant time to do it. And obviously you would need somewhere to put them as soon as you got where you were going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.