Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am going to have a 3D background in my 125 gallon, can I have two corner skimmer boxs and have one intake and the other return behind the BG then make a few holes for the return water to flow out? Is there an easier way to have a return and a intake on the back and still be able to hid the pipes behind the BG and still have a return.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. Some things are a lot simpler than we make them out to be.

You need to return the water from the filter/ sump to the display in such a way that you disturb the water collumn enough to keep suspended any particals long enough for the drains to capture them _and_ help oxygenate the water if necessary. If you get dead spots due to lack of water movement you could add powerheads or similar techniques to help move the water collumn.

You want to drain to the filter suspended particals that get caught up in the overflow/ drain tube. This is not necessary for bio filtration as then you only need to move 3 times your water volume thru the filter and placing the overflow behind the BG will not be a problem. Hiding an overflow behind a BG is not going to be the best place for mechanical filtration. You would want to design the BG such that the overflow is able to "reach into" the DT.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts